Private home folders in 2k3 Domain

ViriiGuy

Limp Gawd
Helllo,

A client of mine has a simple domain setup on a server 2k3 box. On this domain they have each accounts home folder mapped as X: on their terminals. The problem is these folders need to be private so only each user may view their contents. But how they currently have it set up they are visible to each and every user. So lets sa we were going to start from scratch on their folders, as I have no idea what the last person did to this machine...

What would you recommend?

I would recommend setting up a group policy to redirect users' my doc and desktop contents to their home directory. there is a setting to "grant user exclusive rights" that you can check. Pretty straight forward and simple. Then you don't have to worry about going to each folder and manually setting permissions.

Yea you can mess with it through windows or just break down and do the permissions for each yourself. Depending on the number of users I'd prob just change the permissions.

Just a couple thoughts:

Folder redirection to home folders requires Windows XP or newer. If you've got Windows 2000 machines, then you'll probably need to redirect to a share instead.

Also, with folder redirection the "grant user exclusive rights" doesn't include giving administrative accounts access - which can be good or bad depending on the situation (though you can always add permissions manually when necessary). Go here for info on how to configure admin access to redirected folders:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288991

If it's a relatively small number of users, then I'd just edit the permissions manually.

Thanks for the suggestions gang, my assistant was not very through when he posted this question. What had hapened is the last Network admin had created all the User folders (638 of them) under one of the standard network shares. So all the user folders had taken on the permissions of the parent share folder.

What I wound up doing was to move all the user folders to a new directory to keep it clean and set each one to only be accessible by the owner and the admin account.

Back