Printer Sharing Difficulties

iceman1110

Limp Gawd
I have a simple setup really. It is one computer running windows 2000 professional, and the other running windows xp professional. I have tried multiple times to get these computers to recognize each other so that I can use the printer sharing feature. The workgroup names have been changed multiple times as well but I cannot get either computer to see the other one in "my network places". They are both going to a Linksys router (if it matters the model number is BEFSW11S4). I am going to need both computers to print to this printer soon as school is starting back up. The printer is connected to the windows 2000 computer and sharing is enabled. Any help is greatly appreciated.

do you have identical accounts setup on each machine to allow the connection?

on the client computer, have you tried adding a network computer at control panel/printers/addprinter? Try using this format "\\192.168.xxx.xxx\printername." putting in the ip addy of the host computer. Not showing up in network places does not always mean they cant connect. Also are you using any firewalls, if so you need to verify that file and printer sharing is enabled(or network browsing).

and like the previous poster asked, do you have the accounts set up, Win2k doesnt use simple file sharing so accounts and permissions will have to be set at the sharing and security tab of the printer.

I don't know about the account thing. Would that work even though the computer without the printer is running Windows xp?

Nevermind guys, thanks for the help, the \\192.168.x.x\printer worked, I tried that last night and it did not work, but this morning it did. Thanks guys.

Back