Printer printing on startup...how to stop it?

TSx

Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
647
I don't know if there's an option I totally overlooked somewhere, or if there's something else causing my printer to do this. Every time I start my comp up from a fresh boot, not a restart, my printer will idle around for a bit then after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, kick a blank page out. It's an HP deskjet 812C and has only been doing this since my recent set of hardware changes at which time I did a full format. I'm running WinXP. If anyone has a possible solution to this rather annoying bug, please let me know.

Thanks.
 
Have you tried different drivers?

Either latest drivers from HP website or the latest Microsoft-approved drivers or the drivers from the CD you got with the printer.

Look at what is starting up as you start the computer. There are some programs to do it automatically, but you can also take a peek at the startup folder in the startmenu, the software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run in the registery, etc.
 
I hadn't tried different drivers, since I made sure to put the ones I was using prior to formatting back on...although I was using Win 2k before I upgraded. My startup only has a few programs that I put there, and my registry is pretty clean on run...only listing things like my sound, video, and a few misc. programs that I can't imagine would cause it. I'll see if I can find some updated drivers though. I hadn't wanted to try that before because I had problems last time switching drivers, since the 812c printers run off very similar drivers from the 810 series.
 
My Deskjet 840C does exactly the same thing. I never did figure out why. I hope it'll fix itself next time I reinstall Windows...
 
Did you all try adjusting any settings for the LPT port in BIOS (bi-directional, etc.)? Or the real specific spool settings within the printers drivers in Windows? Sometimes that helps.
 
I hadn't messed with any bios or spool settings prior to it bugging, so I didn't figure they would be anything to mess with. I went ahead and checked drivers and mine are the latest upgrade, so that doesn't seem to be it.

This is the only computer that I've had do this on...and while it's not a real big problem, it's just one of those little annoyances that you want fixed. The worst part is the fact that sometimes it will lag my startup a bit.
 
Back
Top