Printer: OK Under Admin. User Is No Go

cmosdos

2[H]4U
Printer: HP 1320n (using JetDirect Card for network configuration). 5 Computers running XP. Origionally the printers were configured under the administrator account, rebooted, tested and worked fine. However, when booted up using a 'user', they cannot print.
If I give administrator rights to the user, they are able to print. Then, I tried setting the printer up under the user having administrative rights. Rebooted, test, worked. Removed admin priveleges and again the user could not print. I tried making a new user thinking maybe something was messed up origionally. Nope. There are no 'sharing' priveleges to set for the printer since this is an IP setup. I'm going crazy here. Can anyone suggest something? Thanks!

Did you install software with the printer, or just the driver?

Some software won't run as a user and requires administrator access (well, that's what most manufacturers will tell you). You can likely edit the permissions on some registry keys, and/or folders and it will run with user rights.

However, if you just installed the driver, it *shouldn't* matter. I have not seen a printer driver that requires admin. access, but who knows.

Did you check HPs site/call them?

Are there any security permissions setup on the local printer? These can be found by going into properties of the printer and clicking on the security tab.

Did you install software with the printer, or just the driver?
I tried it both ways.

Did you check HPs site/call them?
Yes, and they have not responded to any attempts to contact them for a week.

Are there any security permissions setup on the local printer?
As I stated in my origional post... There are no 'sharing' priveleges to set for the printer since this is an IP setup.

Share priveleges are different from Security Permissions. Even local printers such as your HP have security permissions, not all printers have share permissions. Like I said before, check the security tab on the properties for the printer and make sure they look OK.

Create the printer on one PC, then share it and then give permissions to the users and have them connect via the network.

wolfofsin said:
Create the printer on one PC, then share it and then give permissions to the users and have them connect via the network.

This option is not feasible. The printer must be connected by IP.

Phoenix86 said:
OK, let me see what I can find. PM djnes (works @HP) if necessary, perhaps he can throw you a bone.

edit: Found this, LOL.

Lol... that would be me! Still no replies... nor calls back from HP. I'm getting ready to ditch HP and all their equipment. They don't need the extra $100K in sales I bring in every year anyways.

aug1516 said:
Share priveleges are different from Security Permissions. Even local printers such as your HP have security permissions, not all printers have share permissions. Like I said before, check the security tab on the properties for the printer and make sure they look OK.

There is no 'Security Tab' under properties. That tab only shows up when a printer is shared out. If the printer is connected via IP, there is no reason to set security priveleges. Also, for some reason microsoft consideres that a printer that is hooked up by IP is 'local'. So, you set it up as a 'local' printer, but instead of printing to a COM/LPT/USB port, it prints to an IP address. Again, because its a local non-shared printer, no security settings are available.

Please... if I'm wrong, by all means let me know. But this has been my experience.

Edit: I just thought of something of interest. The network is fine under user. Its not a network problem. In fact, when under 'user' without admin rights I can even PING the printer. But for some reason I can't print to it. So basically I can see it, talk to it, but not print to it. I'm starting to think there is a problem somewhere with HP's software.

I'm looking into this today, as we speak. I understand your method of connection pretty well, because we're in the process of removing all print servers and print server appliances, in favor of a direct IP printer. We haven't had any problems printing like this, but most of our users have local admin rights. I am going to search on our internal support site, and try it out with a few printers I have in my office.

cmosdos said:
There is no 'Security Tab' under properties. That tab only shows up when a printer is shared out. If the printer is connected via IP, there is no reason to set security priveleges. Also, for some reason microsoft consideres that a printer that is hooked up by IP is 'local'. So, you set it up as a 'local' printer, but instead of printing to a COM/LPT/USB port, it prints to an IP address. Again, because its a local non-shared printer, no security settings are available.

Please... if I'm wrong, by all means let me know. But this has been my experience.

Edit: I just thought of something of interest. The network is fine under user. Its not a network problem. In fact, when under 'user' without admin rights I can even PING the printer. But for some reason I can't print to it. So basically I can see it, talk to it, but not print to it. I'm starting to think there is a problem somewhere with HP's software.

I just setup a local printer on my XP machine (LPT1) and there is a security tab when I go into properties for it. The security tab will show up on any XP/2k machine even with local printers. Security permissions on a printer will effect who can print to it both locally and via the network if it is shared. However the printer does not need to be shared for the security tab to show up.

cmosdos said:
Lol... that would be me! Still no replies... nor calls back from HP. I'm getting ready to ditch HP and all their equipment. They don't need the extra $100K in sales I bring in every year anyways.
Well, I would have called them, I don't like to deal with official support on boards. Besides it's not like the board has HP techs replying... Same with e-mail. Phone always works better.

Anyways, djnes should be able to take care of you, "internal documents" and all... ;)

djnes, removing print servers in favor of direct IP printing? Why?

djnes, thanks for looking into it. I haven't had trouble like this before either. I have 4 other HP printers and a LARGE Toshiba copier/fax/printer machine hooked up in the office by direct IP. I set the 1320 up the same way I did all the others. But for some reason, this thing is giving me hell.

aug1516, you are correct about the local printer. Sorry about that. However, I don't believe this 'tab' is available if the 'local' printer is going to an IP address. The reason why I say that is because after it didn't work the first time, I immediately went looking for the security tab. But it was no where to be found. I will look into this more in some other setups.

Phoenix86, I HAVE tried calling them. This is perhaps why I'm so frustrated. I end up having to leave voicemails for people who are 'out of office' or get transfered around from person to person who can't figure out what the problem is. Or, doesn't want to bother trying (my feeling).

Its gotta be something SO simple... I'm gonna feel like an idiot after I figure it out.

I tried a couple more things again for the 2nd time. Both removing all software and setting it up by driver = no. And trying to set security priveleges... but....

More confusing things abound... I checked the other printers in the office that are setup by IP and aug1516 is correct... there IS a security tab. BUT, for some reason, there is no tab for this printer. See the pics below.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

So I wasn't loosing my mind when I said there wasn't a security tab. There isn't. But I think there should be. And I think this is where my problem is.

Open up any window and go to tools->folder options->view, then uncheck the box called "Use Simple File Sharing". This will restore the security tab and you will be able to see if the permissions are screwed up. By default they should actually be setup just fine but it never hurts to check.

try putting the users into the Power User account. The basic User account is friggin useless, it cannot use much of anything.

I haven't been able to recreate the same setup. I also can't find anything listed on our internal sites, other than to install the printers under an admin account. Your probably doing this already. On a somewhat related note, send me the number your calling. I'd like to find out why no one is returning your call. I have some contacts on the consumer side that would surely like to know why. The more complaints, the closer we are to bringing our external support 100% back into the U.S., instead of it being split and scattered.

I tried everything as suggested. Still no go. I decided to just remove all software, drivers, and anything 1320 related from the computer and start from scratch using the suggestions. And guess what? It works! I'm not sure what was causing the problem before... but I ended up having to remove everything from each computer and then install from scratch. I still get a random error when I print as pictured below, but it still prints without problem.

pic10.jpg

djnes, I was calling the free 800 HP support number. At first I was keeping track of who I talked to, but then I started getting transfered all over the place and put on hold forever and I just gave up. Half the people didn't understand what setting the printer up by IP meant, the rest understood but just walked me through the manual. Great, thanks... I can read it myself... and I've already done that 15 times. I don't need you reading it to me. I was told I would get a call from a supervisor about the problem and never heard back. I trashed my 'talked to list' and gave up on HP phone support. Good luck with getting it back to the US. Usually the only HP thing I buy are printers... but I'm starting to lean more towards Brother now. Been happy so far.

Back