• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Print Migrator 3.1 Problems on Win 2K3 Server

rsgunter

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2007
Messages
1,325
Boss and I are doing some testing to make sure we can upgrade our Universal Print Drivers without any issues. Here's what we wanted to do.

1) Use Print Migrator 3.1 tool to backup print queue on the production server.
2) Create a test VM with 2K3.
3) Use Print Migrator on VM to restore print queue.
4) Start testing.

Now when I actually run 3.1 here is the problem. It starts up, immediately starts running and closes after about 5 seconds, and when it closes it stops the print spooler. I get no prompt about saving locations or anything, it just runs. I have no clue what it's doing.

A) This ever happened to anyone? I can't find any documentation.
B) What other options do I have (if any) for migrating printers?


PS~ I'm a total noobcake. Please be gentle.
 
I see the platform you are going to is Win2k3 ..is that 64bit?
What are the details of the platform you are coming from?

I went from a Win2K 32 bit print server to
a Win2K8R2 64bit print server.

I read too many limitations doing this with the print migrator,
so I dumped the info from the Win2K print server into a CSV
file: Printer Name, share Name, Port, Driver

I used a hacked script from Microsoft's script repository to
add the ports and printers in. Only real work was doing the driver
translations ...basiclly just said if they use "HP ....." driver in the old world,
use "HP Universal" (64bit) in the new world.

I had preloaded the different drivers I needed and installed them on the
new server first.

Note: i did this for a Citrix environment - so i didn't have to deal with true desktop client dirvers installs.

PS ... I'm giving the alternate - no experience with Print Migrator since I didn't use it.
 
Awesome, thanks Netwerkz. I'll keep that around.

It's a 32bit 2k3 server that is just being copied to VM for testing. Anyway, I found the solution to the problem, though I don't know really why that's the case.

If I put the program on the root of the C: it works fine. If I run it from a share drive it works fine as well. But running it from the desktop makes it break.

This thread can be closed I guess.
 
Back
Top