Print from my XP-SP3 laptop to Desktop Win 7Pro X64

wrangler

2[H]4U
HELP!!!

I feel like I've followed all of the instruction I can find.

My laptop that I do all of my schoolwork on is XP-SP3 32bit.

The big machine with the printer attached is now Windows 7 Professional X64.

The printer is a Canon iP6600D (wife likes to print lots of pictures of the kiddies)

All of my computers are on the same workgroup and see each other and I can click on the shared folders etc. etc. etc. I can find the printer on the Win7 machine but I have to manually type in \\SANDY-PC\ip6600dxxx and it tells me that it is going to install a driver now and I say ok. Then I get this.

"The server for the 'Canon Inkjet iP6600D' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver."

So, I browse to the Canon folder and navigate to the drivers and it won't take any of them. So, I installed the printer on the laptop and it prints just fine......so drivers are already on the laptop.......but that doesn't seem to matter.

I went into Printer properties on the Win 7 machine and where it gives you the option to install X86 drivers so people trying to do what I am trying to do won't have to look for drivers and I pointed it to the install disk that came with the Printer and it doesn't like any driver it sees on that disk to use as an appropriate printer driver.

Canon does not offer standalone drivers off of its website. Only a .exe.

32bit/64bit standoff??? XP/7 standoff??? Does the driver I need not exist??? I've gone from a Vista laptop to XP main machine and figured it out all by myself but this one is KILLING ME!!

btw, I made my school folder sharable and I can walk over to the Win 7 computer and open it and print from it which is a workaround......I only say this to re-emphasize that everybody is seeing everybody.

It should theoretically work as you described, but it might have problems, especially if you can't extract the actual driver files out of the installer. I think it's basically an issue of being different architectures plus the drivers being packaged stupidly.

If you already have the drivers installed to run it locally, try manually adding the printer and specifically choosing the driver. If you've already got it installed locally, hopefully it will just appear in the dialog box where you choose the model.

I just checked out the driver on their site. The XP x86 one is packaged as a self-extracting zip file. You can open it with 7-Zip. Just right-click on it and choose 7-Zip > Open Archive. You may be able to do this with WinZip, or even with XP's built-in zip handling and a little trickery. Once you've got the archive opened up, there's a "Driver" folder with the files you need. If you can get them added to the machine hosting the printer, it should help avoid this problem for other PCs trying to add the printer in the future.

It should theoretically work as you described, but it might have problems, especially if you can't extract the actual driver files out of the installer. I think it's basically an issue of being different architectures plus the drivers being packaged stupidly.

If you already have the drivers installed to run it locally, try manually adding the printer and specifically choosing the driver. If you've already got it installed locally, hopefully it will just appear in the dialog box where you choose the model.

I just checked out the driver on their site. The XP x86 one is packaged as a self-extracting zip file. You can open it with 7-Zip. Just right-click on it and choose 7-Zip > Open Archive. You may be able to do this with WinZip, or even with XP's built-in zip handling and a little trickery. Once you've got the archive opened up, there's a "Driver" folder with the files you need. If you can get them added to the machine hosting the printer, it should help avoid this problem for other PCs trying to add the printer in the future.

When I click on Windows XP I only get the option for this: ip6600dvst200ej.exe

I would LOVE to find it zipped instead of .exe

When I click on Windows XP I only get the option for this: ip6600dvst200ej.exe

Correct.
The XP x86 one is packaged as a self-extracting zip file.

Do what I said.
You can open it with 7-Zip. Just right-click on it and choose 7-Zip > Open Archive. You may be able to do this with WinZip, or even with XP's built-in zip handling and a little trickery. Once you've got the archive opened up, there's a "Driver" folder with the files you need.

I know for a fact that this works because I did it.

The only thing I didn't test is that the extracted files are accepted by Windows, as I have XP x64 and no iP6600D.

Ah well. You learn something new everyday. I did not know .exe could be a 7zip file.

Anyway, unzipped it and still the same thing. It does not find a suitable driver and tells me to contact my manufacturer. WHen I try to do it from the lappy it tells me the above AND when I try to do it from the Win 7 machine where you can add an X86 driver it says it doesn't find a driver. I've got a feeling there is not a driver available to do this right now.

Thanks for the 7zip lesson though. :)

Try selecting the generic "text only" print driver to get the printer installed. After it is installed, then go to the advanced tab, and select the driver you ahve already installed for that printer.

Sometimes this lets you work around that kind of issue.

Back