• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PrimoCache & SMR drives

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
4,645
Just wanted to give a little heads up about something I noticed this week.

I bought a 4TB WD 2.5" external to copy some files onto for portable use thinking it was PMR. One hour into writing I realized it was definitely SMR, the speeds were bouncing and crawling (copying from a fast server) and it was reporting a number of days until completing a 3.5TB~ write.

I turned on PrimoCache and set an 11GB L1 cache with RAM, dedicated 100% to write, with 60 second deferred write and set using the "average" mode. The whole transfer went quick without a hitch in the same time it took to do a full format.

The settings could probably be tuned more efficient but that's just what I chose the first go around and it worked great.

Just a heads up for anyone who may ever come to suffer from some SMR write pains.
 
Back
Top