PrimeGrid Challenge Series 2019

To celebrate the up coming Conjunction of Venus & Jupiter we will be having a 15 day challenge running the Seventeen or Bust application from January 7th 2019 05:43:00 UTC until January 22nd 2019 05:43:00 UTC, working towards solving the Sierpinski Problem.

More information coming soon!

Until then, here’s the link to the status of the on going SoB Double Check.

And here's the links to 2018's completed challenges:

Happy New Year Challenge
Year of the Dog Challenge
Mathematics Awareness Month Challenge
World Cup Challenge
Solar Eclipse Challenge
Oktoberfest Challenge
Halloween Challenge
Leonids Shower Challenge
Winter Solstice Challenge

For those wanting to run the work unit multi-threaded please use an app_config.xml

I believe the following is still usable

<app_config>
<app>
<name>llrSOB</name>
<fraction_done_exact/>
</app>
<app_version>
<app_name>llrSOB</app_name>
<cmdline>-t N</cmdline>
<avg_ncpus>N</avg_ncpus>
</app_version>
</app_config>

Just change N to the number of cpu threads you wish to use per work unit.

Last edited:
Anyone gonna join in on this challenge. These work units are typically monsters.

Just be glad you weren't running those on a G34 rig.....

I plan to participate in all of the PG challenges this year and my 3 Haswell rigs are currently crunching SOB tasks. I may put my other rigs on it, as well. Not sure yet, since these PG LLR tasks really heat up CPUs.

Also, for those that don't already know... HT should typically be turned off as most people find better output due to shared memory resources. I have no idea if that applies to Ryzen at this point. Please do your own testing. If you have older hardware, it is highly advised to use an app_config file to enable multi-threading.

I will have a few work units running but no idea how much will come of it. I don't have a lot of modern gear to throw at it. A lot of what I have even multi-threaded would be lucky to complete a single round of work.

Last edited:
So far, it looks like a single WU running on 4 threads on a [email protected] should finish a WU in just over 30 hours.

Also, for those that don't already know... HT should typically be turned off as most people find better output due to shared memory resources. I have no idea if that applies to Ryzen at this point. Please do your own testing. If you have older hardware, it is highly advised to use an app_config file to enable multi-threading.

I will have a few work units running but no idea how much will come of it. I don't have a lot of modern gear to throw at it. A lot of what I have even multi-threaded would be lucky to complete a single round of work.

That 4670K I gave you should finish one of these WU's in ~30hours, or so. ;)

Yeah, that was a delayed build. Heat concerns in that room in conjunction with power draw. However, it is still on the list of to do's. I have all the parts to get it up and running. Final purpose comes later...lol.

I plan to participate in all of the PG challenges this year and my 3 Haswell rigs are currently crunching SOB tasks. I may put my other rigs on it, as well. Not sure yet, since these PG LLR tasks really heat up CPUs.

Just for fun, I fired up Haswell 4669v3 to run one SOB task. Estimated to complete in 12.5 hrs or so. Vcore about 0.8V and average CPU temp is about 50°C. Probably not the most efficient use of CPU threads. i.e. allocating 18 threads just to process a single task.

upload_2019-1-7_21-13-50.png

The team is currently in 20th place.
104th - Coleslaw
117th - RFGuy_KCCO
152nd - pututu

Wondering how long before you guys stomp me...lol.

I only ran two tasks with run time about 12.5 and 14.5 hours respectively. I switched this rig to running Gerasim ATM.

upload_2019-1-10_20-23-21.png

I'm down to 125th right now. RFGuy slingshot way past me today...lol.

And pending for validation, after hours of crunching no cookies ; hope one will get the same assignment done before the challenge ends.

ChristianVirtual , your work doesn't need to validate during the PG challenge series events. All of your completed + valid work will count. Even if they validate after the event. The only time they don't is if they get invalidated. That is why there is a clean up period after each event.

I just joined [H]ard|OCP after years of crunching for PrimeGrid. Unfortunatly I left about a million credit from my previous team, but I hope to help as much as I can for the remainder of the year, and years to come. Hopefully I can get a few credit submitted before the end of this challenge. :) Also, I'm known as Neologic on BOINC and PrimeGrid, not Tornlogic. I should probably look at getting my username changed in PG, if that's even possible.

Cheers!

You can change your name to anything at PG at any time. Just update your account info. At most projects it is the Other account info link. I would post the link here but my job blocks PrimeGrid now...

And welcome abord

Done! Thanks man! :) I hadn't even noticed that when I changed my email the other day.
Sorry to hear work blocks PG. That's kinda weird tho.

I just joined [H]ard|OCP after years of crunching for PrimeGrid. Unfortunatly I left about a million credit from my previous team, but I hope to help as much as I can for the remainder of the year, and years to come. Hopefully I can get a few credit submitted before the end of this challenge. :) Also, I'm known as Neologic on BOINC and PrimeGrid, not Tornlogic. I should probably look at getting my username changed in PG, if that's even possible.

Cheers!

Welcome to the [H]orde!

Cheers!
Welcome on board ...

Thanks guys! Looks like some nice friendly in-house competition is a welcome thing here!

I'm certainly happy to be here. You all seem like a great bunch of [H]ardcore crunchers.
I had to pause my SoB. This is a new rig, and temps are a bit nutz. Looks like I had a kink/twist/something in the return line of my H115i. Seemed to have happened when I moved the radiator from the top of the case to the front. Twisted the tubing clockwise a bit, and now it's running at much lower temps and higher frequency. I think this challenge was a wash for me, as it started just as I got my system together and didn't have time to tweak it. Next challenge I'll be sure to throw some numbers up there for the team. :)

Yea Christian, I saw that thread yesterday! I haven't decided who to vote for yet. :) I may cast mine to the funniest and most witty guy/gal.

I don't have a lot that does well on PG. I'm sure he just started up really late as he could probably easily overtake me in like a days worth of processing...lol

My G34 rig isn't going to complete anything during the deadlines. They suck so freaking bad..

Just make sure you have joined team [H]ard|OCP at all projects that you crunch on and you're good (World Community Grid is an oddball - join team HardOCP there). We appreciate any help you provide!

Is there any action on my part to become part of this? I checked the website, and seems there is no action required, that team member's work is automatically submitted. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
no action needed; just participate on project under the team (be carefully in case of World Community Grid; there we have a slight different name HardOCP; team ID 1411; join here)

Back