I'm in the process of OCing my first intel CPU ever, a Q6600 (yes, I've read the guide
), and I've just been in the process of bumping up the vcore and running Prime for stressing (all my other voltages are on auto, but the VTT is at 1.3, CPU at 1.33).
My question is, what should I be noting about the way Prime fails to help me determine what to change? I haven't done a Prime run on all voltage auto, but the system posted and ran fine after just tweking the FSB and multi. Now, when I started changing the CPU voltage, I am getting the same response from Prime: the same core fails, but it lasts longer each time I bump the CPU voltage (the rest of the cores chug along fine).
Does this scream "more ___ volts," or is it just going to be trial and error? I haven't messed with the NB, SB, or RAM volts, simply because I am putting two more case fans in tonight before I do. Prime temps were fine with 8x400 until failure, highest core was 51C with the S1284 and stock Antec 300 cooling, so I'm not sure what my next step should be. I know each CPU is different, but I see people with these voltages over a point lower than mine, and want to make sure I'm not wasting my efforts when something else is the culprit.
And one quick question -- is there any voltage or temp difference by running the same clock speed but with lower multi / higher FSB (and vice-versa)?
Any help appreciated!
My question is, what should I be noting about the way Prime fails to help me determine what to change? I haven't done a Prime run on all voltage auto, but the system posted and ran fine after just tweking the FSB and multi. Now, when I started changing the CPU voltage, I am getting the same response from Prime: the same core fails, but it lasts longer each time I bump the CPU voltage (the rest of the cores chug along fine).
Does this scream "more ___ volts," or is it just going to be trial and error? I haven't messed with the NB, SB, or RAM volts, simply because I am putting two more case fans in tonight before I do. Prime temps were fine with 8x400 until failure, highest core was 51C with the S1284 and stock Antec 300 cooling, so I'm not sure what my next step should be. I know each CPU is different, but I see people with these voltages over a point lower than mine, and want to make sure I'm not wasting my efforts when something else is the culprit.
And one quick question -- is there any voltage or temp difference by running the same clock speed but with lower multi / higher FSB (and vice-versa)?
Any help appreciated!