Prime95

toddw

[H]ard|Gawd
I got prime95 to test my new Opteron170. There are three options, one fpu, one with some ram, and one uses alot of ram.

Q: When peeps use this program, which setting is the norm? I keep hearing peeps "ran prime95 for XX hours", but which setting?

Thanks

depends what you're stress testing - if you're worried about the CPU only the first option is fine, if you want to test the RAM then the 2nd would be better...

i normally use the default values. start the app, then goto Options -> Torture Test -> "Blend" -> [OK]

PTNL said:
i normally use the default values. start the app, then goto Options -> Torture Test -> "Blend" -> [OK]
thats what i do. i figgure its most comprehensive, and if there is an error, i can use other ways to narrow it down to CPU or memory.

When I try to run more than one instance of Prime95 on the "blend" setting, the program tends to crash. It doesn't matter if I'm overclocking or not. It doesn't report that it failed, it just doesn't actually run and stops responding. It's odd.

Anyway, I'd run for several hours on one setting that maximizes CPU load, then several hours on the blend setting. I've also found that Prime95 is good, but not complete... looping 3dMark in combination with Prime95 and/or memtest does a good job.

So there is no *right* one..

Run any one of them or more than one... thanks!

How many hours should a test be run in order to make a conclusion about stability?

ofDoom said:
How many hours should a test be run in order to make a conclusion about stability?
i cannot give a straight answer on that, but i can state what i've done and what i've read:
i've done usually one instance for about 12 hours. the pc reviews that [H] have been doing on store/online bought pc's state that they've run prime95 anywhere from 12 hours to 24 hours with multiple instances.

hope that gives at least some rough guideline.

personally, i use the blend option... stress the CPU and the memory together, so if its stable, its rock solid (at least for me)

Back