Primary partition shrinking!

Nielo TM

Gawd
Hey guys,

For some time, I’ve notice the C partition increase in size at noticeable rate. Yes, I do delete everything after browsing the net and both Windows update and Norton update are disabled. Currently, there’s 7.53GB out of 14.6GB left and it was just 7.60GB three days ago. I also defrag the partitions every week and run disk scan every month.

The 160GB HDD is partitioned in to 6 segments, Windows (14.6GB), Applications (9.76GB), Games (5.85GB), Capturing (14/6GB), Editing (14.6GB) and Storage (93GB).

The cache folder for Ulead Video Studio, Nero 6 and TMPGEnc DVD Author are located in the H partition.

So could someone enlighten me why the C partition is shrinking?

PS: Here's my system spec:

Motherboard: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
Processor: AMD64 3200+ (754)
Memory: Corsair 1024MB CL2.5 400DDR RAM
Video Card: Sapphire X800GTO with AGP Bridge with Zaman GPU cooler (CCC v5.4)
Hard Drive: Maxtor SATA 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive: LG DVD-ROM
Optical Drive: NEC-DVD Burner
Power Supply: 520W Corsair HX Series (CMPSU-520HXUK)
Case: AKASA Zen (Black) (AK-ZEN01-BK)
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi EM
Monitor: Sony SDM-HX73

System Restore might be saving stuff in it's store. Try disabliing that and see if you get your space back.

If you do disable System Restore you will not be able to rollback to a previous configuration if something happens to your XP installation.

System Restore might be saving stuff in it's store. Try disabliing that and see if you get your space back.

If you do disable System Restore you will not be able to rollback to a previous configuration if something happens to your XP installation.

You can also delete all except the latest restore point, in the disk cleanup-more options tab.

You could try using Spacemonger to find out where your space is going. There are some older free versions, I think there is a charge for the newest version though.

Spacemonger is a good choice to use. On a side note, your partition scheme is a nightmare, and may very well be hurting your performance. Why would anyone create such small partitions and confine their data that way? Make one single primary C partition, large enough for your OS, apps, and games, with space to grow. Then make the remaining space a second, primary partition as D, and use that for data and storage. The old phrase of KISS applies here.

System restore was disable soon after installing Windows and I'll try that recommended software:) !

PS: I did have a dual partition but it was a mess, so I make it into 6 segments.

System restore was disable soon after installing Windows and I'll try that recommended software:) !

PS: I did have a dual partition but it was a mess, so I make it into 6 segments.

Learn to organize using folders than. There has been quite a few links and people swearing that anything over 4 starts to degrade performance. There really isn't any reason to go above 2, unless you are running multiple OSes.

You could try to run the program "CCleaner." That can usually get rid of some stuff. :)

Good folder structures and organization > Multiple partitions :)

On my next recovery, I'll use 4 segments lol

C: XP/Appl
D: Capturing
E: Editing
F: Storage

Still, why have more than 2? You aren't getting any benefit by having separate partitions for capturing and editing? They are all located on the same drive, which means regardless of what partition they are on, the same drive and controller will be doing the work. You aren't getting better performance by having separate partitions. I'm also going to assume you aren't such a AOL noob that you can't find things in folders. If you really want better performance for video and such, get a second drive. Make one C and one D. Same as above, with apps, OS, and games going on C, and your video being dumped to the second physical drive.

lol, in that case, I'll stick with 2 segments.

PS: Its just that I like to keep everything on the PC clean and stable and as for the AOL, ha, like I would ever use that crap.

PPS: I'll add another HDD when I build a new system cos the one I have will be three years old in 6 months.

Edit: If I were to buy Vista Ultimate OEM, is it possible to reactivate after number of re-installations and component upgrades? Also, is still possible to activate it via phone?

that software seem to be too complex an I have no idea what to look for lol.

PS: Windows capacity dropped to 7.11GB

that software seem to be too complex an I have no idea what to look for lol.

What software? Several have been mentioned. Assuming your talking about SpaceMonger, try this instead, I don't know rather it will be easier for you to use, but it will show what is taking up the space on your drive.

Hope it helps...

Check these 3 places for more TEMP files

C:\Users\SomeUser\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Users\SomeUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
C:\Windows\Temp

Back