Prices High for ram

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
I purchased ram for a friend about 6 months ago and paid less than 50 bucks for 4gb of DDR2. I am looking to swap out my value ram for some good overclocking ram and was wondering if anyone knew why the prices are outrageously high right now and if they are coming down anytime soon?

Prices won't come down for a while. DDR2 is in limited production and DDR3 is high demand. Both lead to higher prices.

I wish that wasn't the case what gwarren007 said, but its true. I want to get some more RAM, but I'll wait, although it may take a year or so.

Yep prices for DDR2 has doubled or more in some cases. I paid $25 for 2 GB of DDR2 in November of 2008 and $45 for 4 GB. Both quality ram.

There is always used ram, you may find a bargain on this from some person who upgrades to DDR3 and has no use for the old ram.

You will pay about 30% for DDR now :( Difficult times in the economy. Darn supply and demands.

Interestingly, prices for DDR2 4g sticks (and 8g/16g kits) have gone down A LOT. Like 1/2 the price they were even 6 months ago.

Look at what I'm actually saying... 4g stick and 8g (as in 2x4g)/16g (as in 4x4g). You can get 16g DDR2/800 for under $800 now. It was $800+ for the 8g kit less than 6 months ago (last time I seriously priced it).

shoulda woulda coulda.. i built three systems last year when prices were so low, all with 4GB ram. really should have just stocked up on it, thankfully i did get a few extra and some notebook ram too.

free money, could've sold at double or more now.

shoulda woulda coulda.. i built three systems last year when prices were so low, all with 4GB ram. really should have just stocked up on it, thankfully i did get a few extra and some notebook ram too.

free money, could've sold at double or more now.

Who can predict the future?

Who can predict the future?

I'm still young, but I've already been around for a few of these cycles. Just remember next time RAM gets super cheap (think under $40 or so for what most would consider, at the time, a good amount of RAM) to buy more.

Same things happening to DDR2 that happened to DDR. 2nd verse, same as the first....

Interestingly, prices for DDR2 4g sticks (and 8g/16g kits) have gone down A LOT. Like 1/2 the price they were even 6 months ago.

Not a surprise.
4gb sticks appeal more to the high-end market, but that market has moved on to ddr3 now.
Mainstream market wanting to upgrade their 2x2gb to 8gb can utilize 2 extra ram slots.

I paid $180 for 12GB of PC-12800 RAM back in summer 09, prices have gotten ridiculous since then... :(

I'm getting ready to off-load 6GB of OCZ soon, so this is great news. :p

I don't see DDR2 going down in price anytime soon. My best suggestion is to hit up the various FS/FT boards and see what you can find.

As many have said, welcome to the market, same thing happened on the move to DDR2, DDR1 went up..

production slows down, but demand can still be high, DDR3 has come down A TON in price, and to counter, DDR2 goes up. either get a new rig, or suck it up.

I didn't realize how much ddr2 went up. No wonder why I had a full pm box 5 minutes after I posted 8gb for $100 shipped.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I didn't realize how much ddr2 went up. No wonder why I had a full pm box 5 minutes after I posted 8gb for $100 shipped.

That's exactly why I said check out the FS/FT forums. Some people won't research and just sell it for a bit under what they paid. ;)

That's exactly why I said check out the FS/FT forums. Some people won't research and just sell it for a bit under what they paid. ;)

Right, I paid $35 a kit AR, so I figured I was profiting and used it for 2 years.

Back