Price drops?

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
Quick question. As I understand it, the GTX295 is launching this week. Does anyone know if this will cause card prices to drop as a result? I'm eying a Sapphire Radeon 4850 X2 for $330, but if card prices are about to drop I'd rather wait.

Do we have any news or rumors of price changes?

In terms of NVIDIA, you should check out the Deals forum, there are three threads of PNY, Zotac and BFG price drops on the GTX 280. The best one I found is the BFG 280 OC Edition for $295, not as high clocked as the Zotac however.

Well, I'm looking specifically for price drops on the 4850 X2.

Well, I'm looking specifically for price drops on the 4850 X2.
You might want to get some feedback on the 4850X2 (there's a thread for it on H).
From what I understand there are a lot of driver issues with the card.

You might want to get some feedback on the 4850X2 (there's a thread for it on H).
From what I understand there are a lot of driver issues with the card.

IIRC the driver issues were with pre-release drivers and some troubles with a Crossfire setup involving the card. I don't intend to put the 4850 X2 into Crossfire for a while, if ever.

No, i'm from that thread on the 4850x2, if you don't have a x58 chipset i would highly recommend you rethink buying the 4850x2 i did and had to rma, driver headache. If you can get it working though it's a dream... question why not wait and get a dx11 card in early Q2? 5870 specifically speaking.

question why not wait and get a dx11 card in early Q2? 5870 specifically speaking.

Because I use a 1080p TV as a monitor, which means I have an acute need for good FPS at a high resolution, which makes an X2 card is more suited for what I want. (I can't get the 4870 X2 because of budget reasons.) There's also no guarantee that the 5xxx series will deliver better performance than the 4850 X2 immediately or over the long term. In addition, I'm in the market for a new computer right now, not in three months. Look at my sig, for crying out loud.

Besides, there's always something better coming down the pipe.

Back