Prey Can Be Beaten in Just under 7 Minutes

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Loading times aside, the world record for beating Prey is now officially 6:59.50. This feat was accomplished by clever use of the GLOO Cannon, which allows players to bend the world and zip through it. Prey is currently on sale for $39.59 at the Steam store for those who want to attempt this speedrun themselves.

I am sorry. If you glitch the hell out of the game there should be no "World Records". Your cheating the game.

When you race cars and clear a lap faster than everyone else but you cut all the corners do you get praise? No you don't.

I am sorry. If you glitch the hell out of the game there should be no "World Records". Your cheating the game.

When you race cars and clear a lap faster than everyone else but you cut all the corners do you get praise? No you don't.
Period

Well to be fair pretty much every speedrun record in the universe involves the exploitation of glitches. I'll illustrate with a personal anecdote. I participated in an event when I was younger - a speedrun of just one course in Mario Kart 64 for a Nintendo Power contest; the winner got a golden joystick (my friend and I worked together and came in third). Anyway, since everybody was racing to get better times it was evident that people were finding new ways to cut times, etc. Then the time dropped a huge amount all at once - because there was a jump-glitch you could make on that track that shortened it significantly but you had to do it several laps in a row. We spent days if not weeks not only perfecting that jump but also racing the rest of the track to shave off milliseconds.

My point being that it's part and parcel of speedrunning so while essentially I agree with you - it's dumb if you rely on glitches and exploits - these records are actually all about exploiting such things. You might as well have said "I don't like speedrunning because I don't like speedruns."

One of the most boring games ever made. Speed runs are fun though.

I am okay with it as long as it is a glitch and not a cheat. The whole point of speedruns is using what the game gives you to beat the game as soon as possible, and glitch fits inside those parameters. Most RPG speedruns use speech glitches to get through dialog quickly and some sort of traversal glitch to cover terrain faster, so this seems no different to me. Though if the glitch gets fixed the number should be thrown out.

That's not how speed running works, want to watch a no exploit speed run? Few do, they're pretty unpopular, long runs are unpopular, difficult to practice and tune.

Few do, they're pretty unpopular, long runs are unpopular, difficult to practice and tune.

Yeah! Screw actual skill and forethought, lets shoot for insta-teleport to the credits for actual enjoyment! /s

I too am not a fan of these types of speed runs. TAS bullshit and glitching the crap out of things to trigger the credits is not completing the game in my opinion.

It's weird, I do accept that exploiting the game to an extent is almost necessary for speedruns but the whole craze, such as with Super Mario World or Super Metroid, about finding the exact spot to perform a sequence of tricks to trigger the ending is beyond stupid.

Reactions: M76
like this
That's not how speed running works, want to watch a no exploit speed run? Few do, they're pretty unpopular, long runs are unpopular, difficult to practice and tune.
I stopped watching speedruns exactly because of this. After I started bumping into speed runs that exploited glitches or teleported outside the game world to get ahead. That's no fun. I want to see speedruns where I see amazing skill from the player, I want to see him using the game mechanics in clever ways. What I don't want to see is circumvention of the entire game mechanics, and using bugs to get ahead. If the behaviour would be considered unintentional in regular gameplay, then it should be considered uninentional in speeedruns as well, therefore it should not be exploited. I'm not interested in seeing him teleport from the start of the level to the end by getting out of bounds. I'm interested in him doing the game quickly.

To me watching glitches get exploited is about as interesting as watching someone typing in the console command to jump to the end of the game.

Which means that the fastest speed run is whoever can pull up the console and run the end credits fastest. That's literally the logical conclusion. Or how about we just glitch outside the matrix via injection, and boom, ending, no console required: Sub ms speed run. Sorry but glitching literally the whole time isn't a speed run.

Which means that the fastest speed run is whoever can pull up the console and run the end credits fastest. That's literally the logical conclusion. Or how about we just glitch outside the matrix via injection, and boom, ending, no console required: Sub ms speed run. Sorry but glitching literally the whole time isn't a speed run.
It very much is, the main part of the pery run is an OoB exploit a very common exploit for 3d games. These kinds are runs are just categorized differently. But still by far the most popular kind of run is Any% using glitches and exploits. Glitchless runs are a rarity, even in segmented runs let alone single sitting.
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Rules

I'll add on to my comment above a little bit. I definitely think a "no-glitch" speedrun is more impressive and fun to watch but I respect the nature of the speedrunning scene just as much as I respected the "demo" scene back in the day. Getting the most out of the least is an essential part of gaming and it's one area humans remain superior to AI. I'm reminded of the Kobayashi Maru exercise.

I'd respectably suggest that glitches can even be part of the game-play mechanics. The best example is of course "skiing" in Tribes which went from an unexpected element to a full-fledged critical technique. Or how about rocket jumping? There are plenty more examples but the bottom line is that pushing the boundaries of the mechanics and the engine, while perhaps a niche segment, is certainly part of the gaming milieu. To again add my personal touch - I played and beta tested tons of MMOs in my day, from UO to WoW to GW2 to ESO and more, and in every single one I got into areas unintended by the developers and I even had several "firsts" in that regard. Exploring in that manner was and is a large part of the appeal to me and you're essentially saying that because it's technically outside the bounds of the game it's not part of the game? I disagree; on the contrary, these glitches can be unique and gratifying to master.

No, it isn't and your statement displays a gross lack of understanding of the speed running community and how everything is done. If a game is broke and can be easily glitched through that is the fault of the developer, there is nothing wrong with a runner taking advantage of that. That is why things are categorized so it is fair. If someone wants to do a glitch or sequence breaking run there is a category for that and the time for that will not effect the times made by people doing 100% runs or glitchless runs. Sorry, but you do not get to say what is and is not a speed run.

No, it isn't and your statement displays a gross lack of understanding of the speed running community and how everything is done. If a game is broke and can be easily glitched through that is the fault of the developer, there is nothing wrong with a runner taking advantage of that. That is why things are categorized so it is fair. If someone wants to do a glitch or sequence breaking run there is a category for that and the time for that will not effect the times made by people doing 100% runs or glitchless runs. Sorry, but you do not get to say what is and is not a speed run.

I think he gets to decide what he thinks is a speed run much like the 'community' has decided what is and what isn't a speed run. Tool assisted speed runs are and always will be the chicken shit way of performing runs and that includes everything from memory glitches to triggering the credits during the title screen. The skill involved in deconstructing the game this way is not in any way shape or form the same skill involved in playing the game as intended. Two different things entirely.

For the record, gamers exploiting games by the use of frame by frame gameplay and by analyzing the data held in certain memory addresses for manipulation is not the game being 'broke' nor the fault of the developer. These types of runs were categorized and invented by the very people who discovered them so that they could be the best at it. Simple as that.

Regardless of if it is technically a speed run every person can still have their own opinion. it is like art.

sport-car-collections-diy-paper-glasses-by-giddy-giddy-check-out-familyfun-pinterest-boards-for-amaz-1433592555k4n8g.jpg

This is art. Somebody could say that they don't consider that art as it is just a dent in a wall. That person has the right to have their opinion about art and not like something. Same with speed runs, somebody has the right to say that to them that using glitches isn't impressive and that they don't personally consider that to be a speed run. It might still be a speed run in the eye of the "official" definition, but they can have what they consider in their eyes to be a speed run.

I think he gets to decide what he thinks is a speed run much like the 'community' has decided what is and what isn't a speed run. Tool assisted speed runs are and always will be the chicken shit way of performing runs and that includes everything from memory glitches to triggering the credits during the title screen. The skill involved in deconstructing the game this way is not in any way shape or form the same skill involved in playing the game as intended. Two different things entirely.

For the record, gamers exploiting games by the use of frame by frame gameplay and by analyzing the data held in certain memory addresses for manipulation is not the game being 'broke' nor the fault of the developer. These types of runs were categorized and invented by the very people who discovered them so that they could be the best at it. Simple as that.

And the community latched onto those runs because they found them interesting. Personally, I have no interest in TAS runs, but whatevs. I'm not going to bitch about them "not being real speedruns" or some shit. People enjoy making them and other people enjoy watching them. Good for people that fit both of those categories. It does no harm to me nor does it get in the way of me watching the kind of runs I enjoy seeing. While I tend to be more impressed by glitchless runs, I also like seeing the ways runners find to break games and the little tricks used to shave seconds (or less) off their time. Any% runs are good for both of those. Not really sure why we're talking about TAS runs though, the dude's run wasn't using a TASbot.

To exploit big maps like that in a way you can beat levels in seconds is pretty damn wicked. lol. It isn't fair but that is pretty creative!

To exploit big maps like that in a way you can beat levels in seconds is pretty damn wicked. lol. It isn't fair but that is pretty creative!

Fair is really an irrelevant term when it comes to single player. As long as someone is having fun or whatnot I feel that anything is "fair" in single player. MP is an entirely different story though.

Fair is really an irrelevant term when it comes to single player. As long as someone is having fun or whatnot I feel that anything is "fair" in single player. MP is an entirely different story though.
I had mentioned the same concept to my kiddo this morning actually, I said it is not fair to cheat in an online MP game, but you can do what you want in a single player game and made many references to cheating using game genie to cheat codes!

I had mentioned the same concept to my kiddo this morning actually, I said it is not fair to cheat in an online MP game, but you can do what you want in a single player game and made many references to cheating using game genie to cheat codes!

Oh man, Game Genie. When Hollywood video was still a thing, the one I went to would rent Game Genies for the SNES and Genesis.

Why not just put in a command to load the last level? I'm not sure of the point.

Because they find it fun and people like watching it? Depending on the game using glitches can actually take a lot of skill and precision. Though, Prey is just a busted game.

Oh man, Game Genie. When Hollywood video was still a thing, the one I went to would rent Game Genies for the SNES and Genesis.
Haha yes! I would use mine for NES games a buddy of mine and I had a system down to not mess up on entering codes, it truly made renting games a joy for the weekend, we would rent 2 or 3 and try to beat them all during the weekend using the Game Genie. Good stuff!

Its an entire genre of speed running IMO. Glitching the game using no outside software is pretty amazing. Like this guy.

Its an entire genre of speed running IMO. Glitching the game using no outside software is pretty amazing. Like this guy.

when you have to sit there for 12 hours do get one star, that isn't a speed run. At that point that is a lowest key press run.

Stuff like that is why achievements where born.

when you have to sit there for 12 hours do get one star, that isn't a speed run. At that point that is a lowest key press run.

Stuff like that is why achievements where born.
Eh speedrunning is essentially pre-achievement achievements, all those silly self imposed rules to find ways to prove you know a game well. Time attacking games that aren't just racing games, hell even achievement farming is somewhat an offshoot of this getting them to pop as quick as possible. It's all just people who are solo player competitive i suppose.

The thing about speed runs is precise timing. Look at Mario. Yes it uses glitches but you miss it by a split second you fail.

Speed runs are a different kind of skillset

I remember trying to get some timed runs in Goldeneye for the N64, but could never reach that magical time, I gave up of course and new generations of consoles came out.

Many many years later, saw on YouTube how it can be done... wtf running diagonally is faster than straight?!? And looking down for the whole time?!? Speedruns are insane, exploits or not, and I find them very entertaining, fun stuff to watch.

ITT: people getting angry about how other people play video games.

Life's too short, go outside, talk to a girl, calm TF down, jesus. (y)

I really don't get the point of going through the entire game just for time. It totally negates all the game play. It is kind of like going in the front door of a museum and running to the exit. WHAT what was accomplished?

I stopped watching speedruns exactly because of this. After I started bumping into speed runs that exploited glitches or teleported outside the game world to get ahead. That's no fun. I want to see speedruns where I see amazing skill from the player, I want to see him using the game mechanics in clever ways. What I don't want to see is circumvention of the entire game mechanics, and using bugs to get ahead. If the behaviour would be considered unintentional in regular gameplay, then it should be considered uninentional in speeedruns as well, therefore it should not be exploited. I'm not interested in seeing him teleport from the start of the level to the end by getting out of bounds. I'm interested in him doing the game quickly.

To me watching glitches get exploited is about as interesting as watching someone typing in the console command to jump to the end of the game.
There are glitchless categories for most games out there. For me, it really depends on the game. A 16-star Mario 64 run is quite entertaining to me, but a 0- or 1-star isn't. Runs like this one in Prey are completely uninteresting to me.

Meh....I thought it would show some of the coolness of the game....but nope....more than half of it was him just float through cracks in the textures....how utterly pointless....

Is the UI on the bottom right part of Prey or some speed running software? It is pretty neat how it is showing the levels and the delta between the current run and previous runs.

I absolutely l love this game. the story, the gfx, the game play and the mechanics. The only game i own that made my 1080 do some work at 4k. I will try this on one of my next play throughs. I can't wait for any DLC that comes out, and I hope there is some sort of VR aspect that comes out. I preordered it, and one of the few games I felt was worth it.

I really don't get the point of going through the entire game just for time. It totally negates all the game play. It is kind of like going in the front door of a museum and running to the exit. WHAT what was accomplished?
It's a different way to enjoy the same game. Some players enjoy going through and experience a story. Some like trying to figure out bugs in the game engine and see how fast they can go through a given game. It can be amazing to watch.

Back