• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pretty safe to say, DOA

Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
47
I bought three power supplies, 2 sparkle ATX 300 W and one fortan mirco atx 180W. One of the sparkle PSU and the mirco wouldn't boot up the pcs they were for, the other would. Is there anything else I can do to insure they are DOA? I don't know how to use a multimeter. I was thinking about getting a PSU tester. Or can I pretty much assume they are DOA?
 
The fact one of the PSUs worked would suggest that the other 2 are dead. Do they have an internal fuse inside them? Not sure if they do, but might be worth looking into. If you buy a lot of PSUs though, it might be worth buying a tester, i dont think they are expensive.
 
Not sure if the PSUs have an internal fuse. How would you tell? Yeah I get a few PSUs here and there. I see compusa has one online for 20bucks but it is just for ATX. Is there one for both micro ATX and ATX PSUs? If so got a link? :D
 
Mmm all I find when I search for it on the web is ATX power supply testers. Does't mention micro ATX.
 
to do a basic startup test, attach a HDD to the supply, take a peice of wire and on the main power connector short the green wire to any of the black grounds, if there is a power switch at the back of the supply make sure its on

it should power up
the HDD placing a load on both the +12V and +5V rails


however, recently there have been a few changes in signals
some mobos and supplies not playing well with each other
Ive heard the new BTX standard blamed, with compliant supplies and boards that arent sometimes being an issue, but I havent heard those supplies mentioned before

if they wont startup the board, the typical workaround was to add additional load to the supplies, so add the drives and a fan or two, they may all be fine
 
Ice Czar said:
to do a basic startup test, attach a HDD to the supply, take a peice of wire and on the main power connector short the green wire to any of the black grounds, if there is a power switch at the back of the supply make sure its on

it should power up
the HDD placing a load on both the +12V and +5V rails


however, recently there have been a few changes in signals
some mobos and supplies not playing well with each other
Ive heard the new BTX standard blamed, with compliant supplies and boards that arent sometimes being an issue, but I havent heard those supplies mentioned before

if they wont startup the board, the typical workaround was to add additional load to the supplies, so add the drives and a fan or two, they may all be fine

Kewl thanks, I will give that a try
 
I did the test with the wire and the HD started up. I also connected the PSUs to a MB with a led on it, light come on. So I guess I have to cancel those RMAs. Thanks Ice
 
Back
Top