Presonus Firebox...does anyone have one?

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,368
I was wondering if anyone has the Presonus Firebox? I have an opportunity to buy one at a great price and was wondering what they are like for recording music. Thanks.
 
i actually recommended it to my friend, in comparison to a firewire 410 which is what i have and what he was using before he moved to the firebox, for actual recording neither of them have great preamps, that being said if you're doing vocals, something like a tc helicon voice works helps immensely even if you don't use any of the effects, but where it really shines (in comparison to the fw410) is that it seems like the preamps are a little hotter (louder) and so are the outputs.


hopefully that helps, if you're looking for a first interface you probably can't go wrong, but if you're looking to do some medium level recording you may be better off getting one of the digi's with the black lion audio mod.
 
He's most likely talking about Black Lion's 003R mods. The baseline for those is $575 plus the 003R, so you're looking at no less than about $1700 for the whole shebang. That's a tad more than the entry-level Firebox, obviously (and I'd recommend something else at the price point entirely anyway).

Obviously for $250, the Firefox isn't going to deliver knockout performance, but it'll get the job done. Like anything else, it's merely a tool: The quality of the results depends more on who's at the helm than anything else.

 
I have somebody offering me one for 125. Is that worth it? Thanks.

is it new? then yeah that's a pretty good price, as for phide, what would you recommend in the $1800 range?

another route you can take is if you want to get into protools you can get anything you want for tracking and then just get an mbox micro to use for PT LE so you can edit.

just an option, there's plenty of ways you can go about it, what are you looking to record? what programs do you have or are planning on using?
 
I have one, and I love it....I don't do any vocal recordings, just music using Cubase LE...
 
I have a Presounus Firepod and I am pretty sure it uses the same mic pre amps as the firebox. If so GET IT NOW..

Clear, warm, tons of head room and doesnt color the sound... I could go on and on. Presonus is well known for producing great affordable mic pre amps..
 
If you can live without Pro Tools, sure.

i've been meaning to get into protools for multiple reasons, but one method someone suggested was to get whatever interface i want and use whatever program i want to to track, and then just get the mbox micro and use PT for editing.
 
I wouldn't bother. The Mbox 2 and Mbox 2 Micro can only handle sessions at up to 24-bit, 48 kHz. You'd want to track and mix at 88.2 (which only the Mbox 2 Pro, 002 and 003 support) or 176.4 kHz (which only HD systems support).
 
I have a Presounus Firepod and I am pretty sure it uses the same mic pre amps as the firebox. If so GET IT NOW..

Clear, warm, tons of head room and doesnt color the sound
... I could go on and on. Presonus is well known for producing great affordable mic pre amps..

I am fairly sure warm and NOT colored is quite contradictory...
 
Back
Top