Preserving an OS

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
The titles doesn't accurately describe my issue, so here it is:

Recently I acquired an old server PC running Windows 2000 Server. We purchased the computer from a company that recently went out of business and were unaware that they hadn't wiped anything from the computer. This includes the password to log in.

Normally I would simply reformat the computer, however, I was not provided with the disks or the COA and CD key for the operating system. Apparently they were lost forever ago. (I'm starting to realize why the company went out of business. This seems to be a trend with them.)

I would like so somehow gain access to the computer, wipe all of the settings, wipe the drives, wipe everything, and start over with the software for our business. (This server will replace, or work alongside, the server we already have).

So, does anyone know how to do all this?

You don't have a copy of Windows 2000 ready to roll on this machine (assuming of course that's the OS you intend to use)?

And the COA sticker is missing from the actual machine itself? Ooops... there goes the legitimacy of that hardware... gotta have that sticker on the machine, someplace, or else... ;) As for the password, there are plenty of freeware and open source tools out there that can reset the Admin and other account passwords as required. This page will get you started:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

You don't have a copy of Windows 2000 ready to roll on this machine (assuming of course that's the OS you intend to use)?

And the COA sticker is missing from the actual machine itself? Ooops... there goes the legitimacy of that hardware... gotta have that sticker on the machine, someplace, or else... ;) As for the password, there are plenty of freeware and open source tools out there that can reset the Admin and other account passwords as required. This page will get you started:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, like I said, the business wasn't really Grade A...

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, like I said, the business wasn't really Grade A...

What he's saying is that unless you get a COA for Win2k back on the machine (which would have it's own key), you're business won't be in Grade A standing either. Just swiping the key from the installed copy and reinstalling does not make it legitimately license.

What he's saying is that unless you get a COA for Win2k back on the machine (which would have it's own key), you're business won't be in Grade A standing either. Just swiping the key from the installed copy and reinstalling does not make it legitimately license.

I guess that is technically true but, i did purchase it as an entire unit including the OS... I'd really prefer not to have to buy another OS but it's looking like I might have to now...

I guess that is technically true but, i did purchase it as an entire unit including the OS... I'd really prefer not to have to buy another OS but it's looking like I might have to now...

It doesn't matter, No COA means no OS. You got ripped off.

They should have sold the machine with the hard drive removed or at the bare minimum totally wiped, but but but... that would have been a smart thing to do. :)

ps

If you go to ebay.com and punch in item number 120413820590 you might find something that'll work for ya... :D A bit expensive on shipping but considering where it's coming from, $100 is a freakin' bargain and not so much that it's not worth taking the chance. And it's covered by PayPal if something is amiss so you won't lose either way...

Last edited:
Back