Prescott Survial Kit from AMD

Very cool :D
Whoever came up with that marketing scheme needs a pat on the back :)

Truly excellent!

Wonder why Intel didn't release a "ThunderBird Survival Kit" when the 1.4GHz ThunderBird was used to fry eggs?

-KJ

wow... that is the best thing I have ever seen in marketing... EVER.

Maybe my next proc will be an A64...seriously.

That's awesome. AMD hardly ever does any kind of advertising, promotions, or punch Intel below the belt, but when they do it's quite good.

thats funny...but it wasn't so long ago where the AMD's were the butt of the too hot jokes.

ViDA said:
Well , its quite cheesy to say the least , plus latest 939 pin AMD's generate not a whole less heat than the prescots. And this is not coming from an intel fan.

Cheers.

I had to register just for this comment. You clearly have not done your research and are going on unsubstantiated rumors. Well, allow me to rectify this. Socket 939 processors have a TDP (read: max dissipation) of 89W. Current top the line processors aren't even near that figure during actual use. That's the same amount of power consumed by Socket 754 and Socket 940 processors. Conversely, Prescotts have a TDP (read: average dissipation) of 103W and it's only going to go up from there.

As far as this kit goes, I think it completely owns. If you find out who made it, be sure to let us know Kyle.

Ardrid said:
I had to register just for this comment. You clearly have not done your research and are going on unsubstantiated rumors. Well, allow me to rectify this. Socket 939 processors have a TDP (read: max dissipation) of 89W. Current top the line processors aren't even near that figure during actual use. That's the same amount of power consumed by Socket 754 and Socket 940 processors. Conversely, Prescotts have a TDP (read: average dissipation) of 103W and it's only going to go up from there.

As far as this kit goes, I think it completely owns. If you find out who made it, be sure to let us know Kyle.

So True

ROFL

Kyle, can't wait to find out who actually made it. Looks very professional at least from the photos you posted.

Very funny needless of where it came from though. =P

Too funny. This would go great with those ATI eyeballs I saw a while back. Does anyone have a picture of those?

I was suprised to not see a 25ft section of flexible duct work which could be connected to ones home heating system.. I currently use my water reseviour to make soups with. Getting ready to turn my office window into a drive through for my "Prescott" soup kitchen.

Hehe, that's brilliant. They should make all the AMD boxed processors come in a little medikit like that!

To be honest, I think this was a very cheeky tactic on AMD's part, rest assured that Intel's retaliation will be swift and brutal.

PhyberOptik said:
To be honest, I think this was a very cheeky tactic on AMD's part, rest assured that Intel's retaliation will be swift and brutal.
LOL yeah right. How does dual core Prescotts blow up your skirt? :D

that is so cruel to be teasing all of us [H]ard members like that.....but its ok because im just drooling over it now. :D

The Athlon 64 Survival Kit should include prosthetic limb replacements for the arm and leg you'll be giving up in order to buy one.

gordon151 said:
The Athlon 64 Survival Kit should include prosthetic limb replacements for the arm and leg you'll be giving up in order to buy one.

Word

[AKA]StraferX said:
I was suprised to not see a 25ft section of flexible duct work which could be connected...

That would go with the roll of toilet paper Kyle has on his desk...(visible in ovenmitt picture)...Must be West Texas... :D

Nasty_Savage said:
Lol. That just made my dreary day! You can probably slip an Apple G5 innuendo or two in that kit too for a double whammy. Maybe a welders mask since they have brought in liquid cooling <--And this coming from an Apple fan :D

Looks like AMD zone was thinking the same:

Stay tuned for our review of the Apple PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Survival Kit. It includes a wetsuit, squeegee, special waterproof turtleneck, and a one use disposable time machine to the year 1984.

HEAT OUTPUT

The Athlon 64 has about 90W thermal output at 2,4 Ghz versus about 100W for Prescott at 3,4 Ghz, so I would guess an Athlon 64 at 3,4 Ghz would have a (90/2,4*3,4) 127,5W thermal output.

COOLING FANS

Most coolers worth buying support both Prescott and Athlon 64/FX, so they sound the same.

NX TECHNOLOGY

Will stop about 1% of the current viruses, so couple that with the lack of stability from most Athlon systems, and Prescott may be even safer for your data.

64 BIT EXTENSIONS

Not supported yet, unlike SSE 2 & 3 and HT

HEATSINK FAILURE

All P4 CPU's will step back when they get above 90 degrees Celsius, allowing you to save your data, while Athlon will burn to death, or shut down at once, when your mainbord supports it, loosing your data and sometimes more.

^^ lol...hi2u fanboy

easy there sparky, the survival kit is a funny joke, no need to get technical

Sarkee said:
That would go with the roll of toilet paper Kyle has on his desk...(visible in ovenmitt picture)...Must be West Texas... :D

Hey, it is a roll of paper towels....I keep the toilet paper in the garage.

T8000 said:
HEAT OUTPUT

The Athlon 64 has about 90W thermal output at 2,4 Ghz versus about 100W for Prescott at 3,4 Ghz, so I would guess an Athlon 64 at 3,4 Ghz would have a (90/2,4*3,4) 127,5W thermal output.

COOLING FANS

Most coolers worth buying support both Prescott and Athlon 64/FX, so they sound the same.

NX TECHNOLOGY

Will stop about 1% of the current viruses, so couple that with the lack of stability from most Athlon systems, and Prescott may be even safer for your data.

64 BIT EXTENSIONS

Not supported yet, unlike SSE 2 & 3 and HT

HEATSINK FAILURE

All P4 CPU's will step back when they get above 90 degrees Celsius, allowing you to save your data, while Athlon will burn to death, or shut down at once, when your mainbord supports it, loosing your data and sometimes more.
Houston, we have a fanboi.
Roger that, two-seven flamethrower squadron dispatched

CrimandEvil said:
LOL yeah right. How does dual core Prescotts blow up your skirt? :D

Interesting reading...heat issues aside, I think amd and intel will be in all out war once intel enables the 64-bit processing of the newer prescotts (with price points at or below current non-enabled chips of the same clock speed).

I had been considering nothing but an amd64 for my next gaming rig, but that kind of changes the outlook a bit...

Still, the kit is a great marketing idea, but the down side is that the normal person probably just says "Wha?" to the ad.

T8000 said:
HEAT OUTPUT

Yes, but what beats that prescott in performance at lesser heat output?

TekieB said:
Yes, but what beats that prescott in performance at lesser heat output?

Hehe, I guess that was the point of the "survival kit" to begin with.
Can't fault AMD because Intel has to run their CPUs almost a GHz faster to get the same performance.
Maybe Intel should abandon the P4 and scale the Pentium M.

just shows how stupid AMD can be... ive noticed no tempo increase coming from a northwood to a prescott....

i miss the old AMD that wasn;t making any money and gave a crap about those that dotn have any

What are you talking about??? If someone wants a good performing AXP setup, they can find one for dirt cheap. I haven't seen any price increases on the XP line.

How stupid AMD can be?

1) Kyle said he didn't think it came from AMD
2) AMD weren't the ones doing reviews on Prescotts at dozens of different websites all reporting that Prescotts ran hotter than any previously known processor.

I think your flamethrower is pointing in the wrong direction.

And last I checked, an AthalonXP was as cheap or cheaper than Celerons. How can you say AMD doesn't care about customers with no money?

Back