Prescott Processor Over-volting

Wratchet

n00b
So what do you consider safe Prescott Voltage? My box says I can go 1.4v max which I am pretty happy with, but I want to push my CPU farther. I have an XP-120 with Arctic Silver 3 (I still have a lot left from my last install) I am running a 3.2E @ 3.6 1.4v. Right now with Sisoft Sandra Burn-in running I get 55c in MBM and 54c in Sisoft. It seems to me that when I tried 1.45v my load temp went up to 60c.

What voltage do you run your prescott at? What would you consider safe for my setup? Is over-volting safe for my prescott or should I be happy with my overclock at 1.4v?

Thanks

Just don't go past 1.7 volts are you seriously risk frying the cpu. I have gone to 1.6 to get a 4.3ghz (from a 3.0) oc. It worked and booted into windows but it was idling at 60'C. So unless you have the cooling (I would suggest nothing less than phase!) you won't get far.

Luck.exe said:
Just don't go past 1.7 volts are you seriously risk frying the cpu. I have gone to 1.6 to get a 4.3ghz (from a 3.0) oc. It worked and booted into windows but it was idling at 60'C. So unless you have the cooling (I would suggest nothing less than phase!) you won't get far.
mine's at under 1.6v and 4.3+ghz prime stable all day.

cpu temp @ 5C

i should oc it a little more and be stable but i just stay at 4.3. Top clock at 4.42ghz benchable. Even though the Prescott is hot as fu#k I still have to apply full anti-condensation on the board. My cooling is too powerful know what i mean?

RM_Bulldog said:
1.7 is WAY to much for a pressie dont go over 1.5-1.55
I believe most commentators I have read suggest that 1.7 is the absolute max, not way too much (so think 1.675). I think one's cooling is also a factor. I have to believe that a guy running a Vapo could safely go a little higher vcore than a guy on air.

So you think I can safely go to 1.5 or something? How much do you think this would effect my processor's life? I would aim to keep 60c under load.

uclajd said:
I believe most commentators I have read suggest that 1.7 is the absolute max, not way too much (so think 1.675). I think one's cooling is also a factor. I have to believe that a guy running a Vapo could safely go a little higher vcore than a guy on air.

If I remember right 1.7 is for Northwoods...

if you look in the CPU database: http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ you will see that 1.65 is the max that anyone is running on prescotts, and that is with vapochilling. (and the highest overclocks are with 1.45-1.55v)

==>Lazn

VID max is 1.4V, and intel specifies that the motherboard regulator should engage overvoltage protection at VID + 200mV, which would be a 1.6V. How of that is to protect the CPU from voltage, and how much is just a precaution because the regulator is well out of spec, I'm not sure. But have seen Prescott's max core voltage listed around 1.55-1.60V serveral times.

uclajd said:

Whoa there.
Guys, Northwoods have an ABSOLUTE maximum of 1.75v. According to Intel's datasheets, the chip should not receive a clock at this setting (0 hz). Some northwoods will NOT post at all, if you go above 1.75v.

Prescotts (.90 mm) have an absolute maximum voltage of 1.55v. Again this is a non functional voltage--the chip should not receive a clock at this voltage. Running chips at their absolute maximum voltages for longer than a very short time, can have an adverse effect on the lifetime of the processor.

All of this is on ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235102.pdf
For prescotts.
There is a different one for northwoods .13 micron

Falkentyne1 said:
Prescotts (.90 mm) have an absolute maximum voltage of 1.55v. Again this is a non functional voltage--the chip should not receive a clock at this voltage.

I think you should check my sig. This keyboard seems to be functional. :p

Running chips at their absolute maximum voltages for longer than a very short time, can have an adverse effect on the lifetime of the processor.
Welcome to [H]ardOCP, where people go through life in 5th gear, not first! Dood, the processor was like $215. It's not like it's a $5K plasma TV! :rolleyes:

People who frequent these forums are often extreme overclockers. Just part of the show man.

I have had both the SL7KC 3.2E and now a SL7E6 3.4E which I run 24/7 at 1.5875 V for 3.85 and 4.1 GHz, respectively. I use a basic watercooling setup. When I run benches, I use 1.6125 V, and run the processors at 4.0 and 4.25.

As for reducing the life of the chip, like it has been mentioned, it's not that expensive . The FX-53's and EE's set you back close to $800, and these processors around $250. For $800, you could get three, clock the crap out of two, and keep one for backup. Either way, if the chip died, it is not that much of a set back. Not that I agree that it would any time soon.

Back