Prescott 3.0E overclocking experience

codeflux

2[H]4U
i got a 3.4C a week ago, but decided to sell it because it would only hit 3.8 - details here

now i got a 3.0E, and will post my O/C experience here. this is an SL79L, batch code L349B482 (malay 2003, week 49). btw, express saver from NJ got to TN in 1 day!!! that's right, next-day delivery from newegg - go figure. :)

anyway, i will pop this puppy in tonight and will post the results as i go.

Last edited:
Saver the moments now with that "puppy" because it'll only get hotter and hotter. EVEN if you have water cooling, [H] even did a report on it dumbo (no offenense) theres no mobo up to date that won't fry in the next year because of prescott. Overclocking will just cook and kill the life span sooner (2yr-5yr). PRESCOTT!? psh, trade it in for an amd64 bling blang!
-_-
-flipman

1. experience coming up.

2. fliptastic, you are an idiot. in no uncertain terms. i upgrade CPUs once every 4-6 months - what the hell do i care what it does to my motherboard in 2-5 years?! i read the review you speak of - it didn't prove a damn thing. so it runs hot. woopty freaking do.

if you impose your opinions on people around here - i.e. "get bling bling amd64" just because that's what you think - you won't last here very long. drop dead.

ok, i'm going to go have my coffee now.

Originally posted by fliptastic
Saver the moments now with that "puppy" because it'll only get hotter and hotter. EVEN if you have water cooling, [H] even did a report on it dumbo (no offenense) theres no mobo up to date that won't fry in the next year because of prescott. Overclocking will just cook and kill the life span sooner (2yr-5yr). PRESCOTT!? psh, trade it in for an amd64 bling blang!
-_-
-flipman
AMD fan with a closed mind. Didn't Kyle post something about 64bit vs 32 bit? Read it.

Originally posted by codeflux
ok, i'm going to go have my coffee now.
Although I totally agree with the points you made... maybe it's a good idea to have your coffee first next time? :p :p

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
Although I totally agree with the points you made... maybe it's a good idea to have your coffee first next time? :p :p
your handle is angrybusdriver - ANGRY BUS DRIVER! - and you are telling ME to chill out, in no uncertain terms... damn, dude... :) long day, i guess, and not enough sleep, and newbs pissing me off. oh well. ok, i'm gonna go pop it in now. hold your horses.

your handle is angrybusdriver - ANGRY BUS DRIVER! - and you are telling ME to chill out, in no uncertain terms... damn, dude... :) long day, i guess, and not enough sleep, and newbs pissing me off. oh well. ok, i'm gonna go pop it in now. hold your horses.

lol I don't like getting trampled by my horses. :p

Sorry, I've been going nuts... The girlfriend is in Japan, so I've been freaking bored out of my mind. @__@

3dmark2001 ran without a hitch, scoring 21022

3dmark03 scored 6699

for the record, yes, i know it's not an indicator of real-world performance, but i've never got 21k before! :)

Last edited:
can i be your friend? im so jealous to bad one of those chips wouldnt do that on air or do you have Air cant tell ?

Originally posted by RM_Bulldog
can i be your friend? im so jealous to bad one of those chips wouldnt do that on air or do you have Air cant tell ?
no, definitely not air - see the sig. :)

ok, i'm off to play NFS Underground now! :)

no, definitely not air - see the sig. :)

ok, i'm off to play NFS Underground now! :)

Hmmm... I should do likewise and play a little NFS HP2.

one hour later - not even a glitch, the system is completely stable! i will try to run the w/c fans at 7V and see if it gets any worse, but as it stands, the conclusion is:

with high-end water, 3.0E will do 250FSB right out of the box.

thats good to hear! i'm running 57 idle and 69 load on my 3.0E prescott. waiting for my w/cing stuff to get here. i have some geil pc4000 golden dragon. and im just urging to oc. so i will be running water on pelts and i also am putin a pelt on my nb to se if that will do much:D

My 2.8E...

3.5GHz (14X250) @ 1.45V
45 idle 51-54 Stressed a bit so far
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe 1016 BIOS
Air Cooled (for now...gonna bust out with difference cooling soon)
Swiftech MCX478

Kingston HyperDX DDR500 3-4-4-7
5700+ SiSoft Memory Scores.

Not sure if I am going to use water, pet, or a nVENTIV Mach II if this deal comes through. The pet will give me what I need to run 3.5 cool and stable but the water or nVENTIV should give me more and I am wanting to see what this CPU can do.

tried cranking the speed up a bit just now.

267 FSB (4ghz!) - no go. won't even post.

260 FSB (3.9ghz) - posts, starts Memtest-86, but gives *many* errors.

255 FSB (3.8ghz) - posts, starts Memtest-86, but gives *few* errors.

tried messing with CPU:RAM divider (1:1 and 5:4), upped the CPU voltage all the way to 1.5v (don't want to take it any higher for fear of melting through the motherboard), but to no avail.

so - 3.75ghz, 250 FSB 1:1 2.5-4-4-7 (see sig) is what it's at again. the load temps do not go above 51C, even after 2 hours of intense NFS Underground gameplay. idle of 35 was a bit optimistic - it's more like 38 actually. or rather, that's what it's sitting at now.

overall, pretty damn happy with it, as you may imagine. :)

did you turn off the dynamic voltage on it? i can post a ling to how to do it when i get home if you didn't. it improves performance:D (you could probably get your 6700 3dmark03's)

Originally posted by thebro
thats good to hear! i'm running 57 idle and []69 load on my 3.0E prescott. waiting for my w/cing stuff to get here. i have some geil pc4000 golden dragon. and im just urging to oc. so i will be running water on pelts and i also am putin a pelt on my nb to se if that will do much:D [/B]

holy phuck I knew those things were hot but..DAMN.:eek:

So how do they scale?

Originally posted by rogue_jedi
did you turn off the dynamic voltage on it? i can post a ling to how to do it when i get home if you didn't. it improves performance:D (you could probably get your 6700 3dmark03's)
i know i can get 6700 - i didn't have time to run more tests, wanted to play NFSU. all i had to do was crank the video card up a little.

but do post the link, please.

Might not be the CPU but IC-7G limiting you on this.
Back when I had 2.4B C1, I had peltier setup running and I think Asus E7205 chipset. Got it to 3.5Ghz or so but not any further.
When I got P4C800Dlx first, and no 2.4c, I gave 2.4B C1 a shot and I was 100% stable at 3.6+Ghz. My guess at the time was that P4C800 was just better at managing higher power drain from CPU. Since non of the MB out on market are specifically designed for presshot yet, I presume you are reaching the limit of your MOBO. (not just FSB but the capacitors and line filtering with the amount of power being drawn)
Just my guesses based on past experience.

^^^

that's a pretty good assessment. you know, i did have a P4C800dlx before i traded it it for IC7-G. i like this board better now, and it has a better RAID support. 3.75 is still a pretty damn decent overclock, and i won't be trading it in any time soon (soon = 4-6 months).

even if i did get it to o/c at >250FSB, the temperatures are close to critical already, and it would only get worse. i don't see a reason to keep pushing it to the melting point. besides, i'm going to try to run all the fans at 7V some time this weekend, and the o/c may not hold then. we'll see! :)

tried the fans at 7V today. the Panaflo's are INAUDIBLE!

however, the system is no longer stable at 3.75. i started prime95 and the temps went all the way up to 58C before it failed. a reboot resulted in a BSOD. i guess i will need to either run the fans at 9V maybe, or o/c depending on whether i want to bench/loud or 24x7/quiet. ;)

crap... didn't read the article closely enough... he said tthere IS a workaround, but he hasn't found it yet. here's the link to the article anyway though.

http://www.iamnotageek.com/articles.php?aid=8&page=1

page 3 has the register values wcpredit finds, he thinks its one of those values. sorry i got your hopes up w/o reason, but i thought he had a way to do it already.

/me needs lots of sleep/

I don't understand what's so great about Prescotts. They have a longer pipeline than Northwoods :)o) and runs at a lower speed. Also, not a great overclocker, as you got your Northwood to 3.8, and Prescott to only 3.7. So, why exactly is it better? Can someone enlighten me?

ht on nw's make the cpu multitask better by 17% and intel made improvements on ht so the prescott 6% more efficent than the nw. also they added sse3 support. and they made the process smaller, instead of 130nm it is now 90nm.

or something

I've got a 3.0E that I'll be testing as soon as I receive my abit MAX3 ... from the sounds of it, I'd best start thinking about a water cooling setup for it as well. For grins and giggles, I should try it out in my shuttle SB75G2 to see what kind of temps it gets, too :)

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
I don't understand what's so great about Prescotts. They have a longer pipeline than Northwoods :)o) and runs at a lower speed. Also, not a great overclocker, as you got your Northwood to 3.8, and Prescott to only 3.7. So, why exactly is it better? Can someone enlighten me?
1. longer pipeline is better - you just need higher clock speeds to see the difference.
2. 3.0 @ 3.7 is much faster than 3.4 @ 3.8. yes, faster - FSB is what makes the big difference.

Originally posted by Belan
I've got a 3.0E that I'll be testing as soon as I receive my abit MAX3 ... from the sounds of it, I'd best start thinking about a water cooling setup for it as well. For grins and giggles, I should try it out in my shuttle SB75G2 to see what kind of temps it gets, too :)
your shuttle will MELT dude - provided it can even recognize the prescott. :)

Nice to see Intel getting their act together. Congrats on the awesome oc :)

your shuttle will MELT dude - provided it can even recognize the prescott. :)

It's a standard 875p chipset, ought to recognize it just fine ... as for the melting part ... well, that's part of the fun :)

I don't understand, why would my 3DMark 03 be higher than yours @ 3.3GHz, (6,772) but when I o/c to 3.6GHz my 3DMark 01 is around 2,000 lower?? (19.6k or something)
:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by IYIENACE
I don't understand, why would my 3DMark 03 be higher than yours @ 3.3GHz, (6,772) but when I o/c to 3.6GHz my 3DMark 01 is around 2,000 lower?? (19.6k or something)
:confused: :confused:
3dmark03 is largely videocard-depentant. what are you running your videocard at? 3dmark01 is more system-dependant than '03 - that's where the difference in clock speed and/or FSB comes out, as well as RAM bandwidth and disk speed (on some occasions).

keep in mind: [email protected] is quite a bit slower than [email protected]. and i ran my tests at 3.75. :)

btw, your sig could be compressed in half. and no-one needs to know that your name is robert. just give us your hardware specs - with greater detail!

3dmark03 is largely videocard-depentant. what are you running your videocard at? 3dmark01 is more system-dependant than '03 - that's where the difference in clock speed and/or FSB comes out, as well as RAM bandwidth and disk speed (on some occasions).

keep in mind: [email protected] is quite a bit slower than [email protected]. and i ran my tests at 3.75. :)

btw, your sig could be compressed in half. and no-one needs to know that your name is robert. just give us your hardware specs - with greater detail!

Prescott has higher IPC? Didn't know that. :p

I perfer to put funny/stupid quotes in my sig. :p Hardware specs are for... Uh, other people?

1. longer pipeline is better - you just need higher clock speeds to see the difference.

LOL. The longer pipeline can ENABLE higher clock speeds. That's the only way it's "better". So, if you're not actually GETTING the higher clock speeds, it's worse.

2. 3.0 @ 3.7 is much faster than 3.4 @ 3.8. yes, faster - FSB is what makes the big difference.

Like above. Longer pipelines are WORST they have lower IPC. However, longer pipes usually allow higher clocks which offset the lower IPC (instructions per clock)

Prescott for the most part at the same clock as Northwood is a weaker CPU. However, some of the optimizations (1MB L2 & SSE3) can help in a FEW benchmarks. (NOT MANY)

However I would prefer a Northwood for now. Since not much software will have support for SSE3 for a while. And NW runs much cooler than Prescott. I think Intel just needs to work on fixing the .09 process and just make a die shrink of the P4EE or just increase the L2 to 2MB. We dont need the longer pipeline yet. I think they introduced it too soon.

Back