Prescott 2.8E at Newegg....

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
not sure I'll buy a Prescott at this point though. I think I may just get a 3.2C, since that seems to have the better performance.

that right now is a safe bet, myself i am shooting for a 3.2 or a 3.4 to play with or just say hell with it and try an athlon 64 3400+

I might buy a Prescott at 2.8Ghz but I want to hear some positive overclocking stories first. As you see, the Prescott can easily acheive Northwood's efficiency but it has to be about 3.6GHz.

LGA for me! YAY! Or dual Xeon, or Prescott-CT...too many choices.

the 2.8e (oem) and 2.8c (retail) are the same price right at newegg... between the two of them, which would be the better choice?

I'd go for a Northwood core. The socket 478 prescotts haven't been amazing from what I've seen because it's young tech and we probably won't see its real power until LGA socket.

hmm that's what I seemed to be leaning toward. My OC will be on air and I don't plan on screwing around with voltages or much else along the way.

How much of a diff does the increased L2 cache make tho? Are there any applications that that increase would make it beneficial to go Prescott?

If you're going to be overclocking it on air, I would recommend waiting until more people get 3.2E and 3.4E retail chips and begin overclocking those and you can find out what is going on.

Locally a guy has got his Prescott 3.0Ghz to 3.9Ghz with watercooling.

I have just setup my Prescott 3.2Ghz (ES) with the Vapochill XE. Will try overclocking in a couple of days.

I am told by many who have tested the Prescott CPU, that they are very good overclockers.

Good luck, mine wasnt amazing 3.7ghz stable in a Vapochill PE. temps close to 30Celsius under full load.

Yea thats pretty rediculous. They better get their shit straightened out... If they cant seriously reduce temperatures in the near future, they wont be hitting that 4 Ghz mark.

30C hot? I have never had a CPU in the last 4 years run that cool. When it gets around 75C, I might get worried.

My mistake. I didn't realize he was using a freezer.
:D
I would just get a 2.4c SLAZ3 for the now for much cheaper and wait till the 3.2s come down in price in about 6 months or less.
I like to run my ram at 532Mhz and the cpu at 3.2,Or I can run my ram at 465Mhz and my cpu at 3.5.These chips rock!!!

ps.All the reviews say the northwoods beat the prescott in most all benchs untill you get past 3.9 or something like that.

newegg has 1 review on it and it says he got 4ghz out of his 2.8 on air dont know if its bs but its there

must be some insider from the egg..

I will wait or follow anand's instructions.. clock for clock grab a northwood.. enuff said already dude..

Originally posted by kennyc28
newegg has 1 review on it and it says he got 4ghz out of his 2.8 on air dont know if its bs but its there

That's probably someone talking about the Prescott that showed up on the VR Zone forums a couple of weeks ago

478pin Prescott 2.8-3.2 is just practice for Intel to get the .09 micron process down and improve yields. I wouldnt get the 2.8E as its probably the bottom of the barrel as far as speeds go until they get a new stepping out. It also will let them increase profits as they will be getting a huge number of CPU's per wafer.

For overclocking on a 478 pin mobo, Northwoods are the way to go. Get whatever CPU fits your ram & budget. I'd really like to try my luck at a 3.2 since they have come down in price. Maybe shoot for 4Ghz on air!

IF you can wait a few months then defintely do so.

By then you will get to see A64/FX@939pins vs PrescottLGA@775pins and then you can decide where to put your money.

Back