• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Prescott 2.4E

Makes sense - I heard that it takes Intel less $$$ to make Prescotts. It shows :D
 
Originally posted by Embattle
Not everyone wants to oc their processor.
Exactly, so why on earth would you buy a Prescott if you were going to run at stock speeds?
 
Originally posted by EnderW
Exactly, so why on earth would you buy a Prescott if you were going to run at stock speeds?
So Dell can sell Intels latest and greatest CPU at 2.4GHz to Joe Schmoe who knows nothing about CPU performance, but thinks he is getting the greatest CPU for his money. Undoubtedly the 2.4E will cost less than a 2.8E, maybe right around the same price as 2.4 or 2.6E if not cheaper. Not everyone that buys CPUs is an enthusiast.
 
These will be the next $120 cpu's. Not bad for a person that has a old 1.6a or 1.8a system and wants to upgrade cheaply. The 2.4C isn't going to be around forever but hopefully it stays around for awhile though. At christmas time I built a 1.8a system for my parents and if it came down to a 2.4E for $120 or a 2.4C for $160 I would go with the prescott.

The yield for the 2.4E should be enourmously high since the prescott saw a 25% shrink in die size over the northwood. These prescotts should be very low priced soon.
 
I think you forgot when 1.6a's came out also came out was the 845e which doesnt support 800fsb.So its not that "cheap" when you need a mb otherwise I would have done it already. you know what I dont understand is isnt all ht cpus fsb800mhz because my board says it supports ht but not the 800fsb oh well
 
Originally posted by EnderW
Exactly, so why on earth would you buy a Prescott if you were going to run at stock speeds?

Most processors bought are not oced, including Prescotts once they start to ship through Dell, Compaq, etc.....in fact most people (General Consumers) won't even realise that they have a Prescott and even if they do they will have no idea what makes it better apart from the PR used to sell it.
 
Great! I'm sure my mom who only uses the computer to view the web and check email will love a 2.4E. No point getting her the 3.4EE.
 
What I'm saying is, if you know anything about CPUs, there is no reason to get a 2.4E instead of a 2.4C, unless they plan to sell it for less that $120.
 
Back
Top