• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Presario Notebook AMD Display Replacement

OhioLou

n00b
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
11
Need to replace the damaged LCD display on HP Compaq Presario 2108CL Notebook PC. Have found manual w/ disassembly & assembly instructions. What I don't have is the "Service Utilities floppy disk" to reprogram the EEPROM on the motherboard after replacement.

Can anyone help me locate the "notebook series service package" to create this disk?

Thanks in advance.

Lou
 
You usually only need to do that when you replace the motherboard as it is used to program the serial number and model into it. Replaceing the lcd shouldn't effect this at all.
 
I guess I'll wait a bit before I tear into it. The service manual specifically indicates that the EEPROM will have to be reprogrammed using the Service Utilities floppy disk so the motherboard will recognize the new LCD.

Guess I don't know enough to question this. And I don't want to buy the replacement LCD only to find out I can't make it work without this disk and it is simply not attainable.

Lou
 
bump for thread.

Would it solve anything if you disconnected the broken LCD and reattached it? It partially works, would that give you an idea if the new LCD would work or not? Also let you do a dry run with an already broken LCD.
 
I like that idea, except right now I can use the PC with the external monitor and I'm concerned that I will be in some machine state instead of booting Windows if I try the disconnect. Plus, if the reason the board has to "recognize" the LCD has to do with a serial # on the LCD, plugging the same board back in would not prove anything.

But --- if nobody can help me get this utility I need - this is the best idea so far and at some point I'll take the data off the box and give it a try.

Thanks.

Lou
 
Back
Top