Premiere Pro CC playback choppiness

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
I can't seem to get playback working well with the latest version and latest update of premiere pro CC, and my gopro 4 black,

Doesn't matter if it's 1080p, or 4k, the playback starts out smooth (even in the media browser playback, not edited video) and then it gets choppier as it goes, eventually playing only audio, while the video chugs at 1 fps or less. CPU, GPU and Memory are all sitting at nearly idle while this happens, I see a small blip on the gpu usage, then it drops to 0.

I've tried both GPU and CPU playback, multiple formats that I have converted the video to, matched source / sequence.

I've tried latest drivers.

I have converting the files in gopro studio first, to both MOV and AVI.

Video plays fine in Media Player HC, just seems to struggle in premiere...

I'm all out of ideas!

4770k, 8GB, 290x.

I don't know if this will help you but it may be an IO limitation. Try playing it back on an SSD or an array with a large amount of bandwidth.

I just converted an 80 second 4K clip from GoPro Studio in High quality and it still stuttered for me after 1-2 seconds of playback. I looked at the file and it's 6.2GB for that 80 second clip. going to try again with Medium and see how that goes.
EDIT: medium is 4.82GB for 80 seconds.

Last edited:
I read that over, it doesn't seem add any new information, I don't want to reduce PQ to get an easier time working with it either though.

I'm going to try Adobe Media encoder with XAVC

Are we a limited group here? why is no one else bitching about this :)?

My friend uses Premiere Pro and Final Cut, but he is on a Mac Pro, but I'll ask him if he has to do anything to get GoPro 4K video to play smoothly on the timeline.

I find it odd that my system won't play the converted files smoothly in the timeline, I have a 4790k and GTX980 SC.

Yup, even 1080p is playing choppy from the gopro, 1080p from my camcorder plays back properly.

I queued up 2 file types, one QuickTime using cineform with different settings, the other sony xavc on high qfhd(3840*2160)

I'll report back when I have something, its time for bed =p

What is your page file size? According to this Premiere Pro optimization site, your ram GB + page file GB should be 48GB, and the pagefile needs to be static. I don't know if this would actually help. I don't have any gopro files to test with, and I think my old ATI 4870 might hurt things anyways, though I could be wrong.

Success!! converting it to XAVC(.mxf) from sony works, it plays back smoothly now, so I guess I have found an intermediate solution until I find a permanent one.

That's good to know. I'll give that XAVC codec a shot this evening and see if works for my CS6 setup.

Something is not right, I installed the trail version of Premiere Pro CC on my workstation @ work, and it can handle the 4k footage from the gopro just fine, even @ full res playback.

Version @ home 8.0.x(says it's fully updated, even though both are the 2014 release... what gives?)

Version @ work 8.2.0

^^ Sounds like you just need a reboot at the moment.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the choppiness when working inside premiere. I'm not a video guy, but the only time I've ever gotten to use Premiere was years ago on a crappy dual-core 4gb machine that could barely run the program. Video playback inside Premiere wasn't really a thing. Had to just cut everything together based on the audio and hope it looked ok once I rendered everything out. :p

Premiere requires some beastly hardware just to run video in real-time even with 1080 video. I'm not surprised at all that you'd get stuttering even with current hardware when trying to process 4k files. You can very easily over-run your hardware's capabilities in that program doing any kind of complicated cuts, transitions, effects, or god-forbid multiple layers. My understanding is that Premiere isn't really made to be a video playback tool, it's where you construct your movie from multiple clips and other elements, then you render it out to watch the whole thing smoothly.

But yeah, I'm not a video guy - maybe on current hardware it works a lot better. YMMV

^^ Sounds like you just need a reboot at the moment.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the choppiness when working inside premiere. I'm not a video guy, but the only time I've ever gotten to use Premiere was years ago on a crappy dual-core 4gb machine that could barely run the program. Video playback inside Premiere wasn't really a thing. Had to just cut everything together based on the audio and hope it looked ok once I rendered everything out. :p

Premiere requires some beastly hardware just to run video in real-time even with 1080 video. I'm not surprised at all that you'd get stuttering even with current hardware when trying to process 4k files. You can very easily over-run your hardware's capabilities in that program doing any kind of complicated cuts, transitions, effects, or god-forbid multiple layers. My understanding is that Premiere isn't really made to be a video playback tool, it's where you construct your movie from multiple clips and other elements, then you render it out to watch the whole thing smoothly.

But yeah, I'm not a video guy - maybe on current hardware it works a lot better. YMMV

I'm not even talking about playing the sequence, I'm previewing the project media, and it runs choppy! but the same file works fine @ Work ( I already rebooted multiple times) so something tells me it is related to something on that machine, I'll do a clean windows install today on a spare drive, and try the same thing.

Plus, in premiere you have the option to playback at full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th resolution, none of which make a difference as all play choppy, so it has nothing to do with computing power, more so since the cpu is at less than 25% load when the stutters happen.

I have noticed disk reads of 65MB/s when playing the clip on the timeline, which isn't much since my SSD does 500MB/s reads. so I am not sure what is up with my machine stuttering while working with the cineform files.

And it is very hard to edit if the playback is stuttering, and you don't want to waste time exporting just to see if your cut is good.

Back