Precision Boost Overdrive working??

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
This guy is claiming he has overdrive working... is this true? I thought PBO and XFR were not currently supported yet?

Last edited:
This appears to be the MOBO's way of handling their version of PBO..

I think it may be fully implemented in the Z490 chipset refresh. For now what I gather it's just custom overclocking profiles as far as what I can gather from Kyle's research/ assumptions.

I think it may be fully implemented in the Z490 chipset refresh. For now what I gather it's just custom overclocking profiles as far as what I can gather from Kyle's research/ assumptions.

I don't think we are waiting on a board to support it .. I believe it will be a feature that get's enabled later in time... or at least I hope. Guy on youtube are still arguing with me that what htey are doing is truly AMD's overdrive.. ahh well..

You may need to get the skillet warmed up because I have a feeling you'll be eating crow...

I just unhid the Overdrive settings in my Titanium's new BIOS (from the 4th) about an hour ago. Alas, I lack a 2-series Ryzen to utilize it :( Though, the PPT, EDC, TDC limits were already present in the previous version from like March 8th, so it's a fair chance these are well developed and nearly ready for roll out. They may be keeping them in the wings for something by Intel to prompt rolling out a "kicker" feature as more enticement to go AMD.

SETTINGS:
Precision Boost Overdrive - Auto/Enabled/Disabled/Manual - "Disabled: stock boar values for standard IRM. Enabled: Loads board limits for EDC, TDC, and PPT. Manual: manual setting of PPT, TDC, EDC"
PPT Limit - <user inputted variable> - "PPT Limit [W]. Board Socket Power capability, adjustable up to motherboard programmed PPT limit."
TDC Limit - <user inputted variable> - "TDC Limit [A]. Board thermally constrainted[sic] current delivery capability, adjustable up to motherboard programmed board TDC limit."
EDC Limit - <user inputted variable> - "EDC Limit [A]. Board electrically constrained[sic again] current delivery capability, adjustable up to motherboard programmed board EDC limit."
Precision Boost Overdrive Scalar - Auto/Disabled/Manual - "Disabled: Part runs with a scalar of 1x, i.e. normal operation. Manual = Part runs with a scalar of customized Value"
Customized Precision Boost Overdrive Scalar - 2x/3x/4x/.../10x - "Precision Boost Overdrive increases the maximum boost voltage used (runs above parts specific maximum) and the amount of time spent at that voltage. The larger the value entered the larger the boost voltage used and the longer that voltage will be maintained."

There's a couple other new entries as well, no idea if they are related to PBO though, as they do not mention it, but follow those settings immediately in the list.
(There is no mention of what "IRM" means anywhere. I even searched the Strings table for it and that's the only place it shows up)

You may need to get the skillet warmed up because I have a feeling you'll be eating crow...

I just unhid the Overdrive settings in my Titanium's new BIOS (from the 4th) about an hour ago. Alas, I lack a 2-series Ryzen to utilize it :( Though, the PPT, EDC, TDC limits were already present in the previous version from like March 8th, so it's a fair chance these are well developed and nearly ready for roll out. They may be keeping them in the wings for something by Intel to prompt rolling out a "kicker" feature as more enticement to go AMD.

SETTINGS:
Precision Boost Overdrive - Auto/Enabled/Disabled/Manual - "Disabled: stock boar values for standard IRM. Enabled: Loads board limits for EDC, TDC, and PPT. Manual: manual setting of PPT, TDC, EDC"
PPT Limit - <user inputted variable> - "PPT Limit [W]. Board Socket Power capability, adjustable up to motherboard programmed PPT limit."
TDC Limit - <user inputted variable> - "TDC Limit [A]. Board thermally constrainted[sic] current delivery capability, adjustable up to motherboard programmed board TDC limit."
EDC Limit - <user inputted variable> - "EDC Limit [A]. Board electrically constrained[sic again] current delivery capability, adjustable up to motherboard programmed board EDC limit."
Precision Boost Overdrive Scalar - Auto/Disabled/Manual - "Disabled: Part runs with a scalar of 1x, i.e. normal operation. Manual = Part runs with a scalar of customized Value"
Customized Precision Boost Overdrive Scalar - 2x/3x/4x/.../10x - "Precision Boost Overdrive increases the maximum boost voltage used (runs above parts specific maximum) and the amount of time spent at that voltage. The larger the value entered the larger the boost voltage used and the longer that voltage will be maintained."

There's a couple other new entries as well, no idea if they are related to PBO though, as they do not mention it, but follow those settings immediately in the list.
(There is no mention of what "IRM" means anywhere. I even searched the Strings table for it and that's the only place it shows up)

Not sure what you mean by eating crow? Kyle said the version showing up in the motherboards is not the same supported PBO AMD is talking about. It's the mobo's version of it. Ryzen Master at no point shows PBO enabled even when it is.

So I have heard removing limiters on these chips should be done to improve them but no idea what that means. I got PBO working... well Gigabytes PBO option. All cores boost to 4.25 and single cores boost to 4.35ghz. With Balanced mode power plan I get 2ghz idle and .8v idle. Voltage will spike to 1.5V under load at times.

Not sure what you mean by eating crow? Kyle said the version showing up in the motherboards is not the same supported PBO AMD is talking about. It's the mobo's version of it. Ryzen Master at no point shows PBO enabled even when it is.

So I have heard removing limiters on these chips should be done to improve them but no idea what that means. I got PBO working... well Gigabytes PBO option. All cores boost to 4.25 and single cores boost to 4.35ghz. With Balanced mode power plan I get 2ghz idle and .8v idle. Voltage will spike to 1.5V under load at times.
How I understood it, based on Kyle and readings elsewhere on the net, was that AMD had been working with board makers for sometime on it, and that it was at the board maker's discretion as to whether they wanted to activate it in current form. That what is in there is indeed AMD's version, but that AMD isn't happy with it as it currently stands and as such is not ready to officially roll it out (or support it).

All the features I mentioned all line up with AMD's PBO details. So it sounds like it's less a case of "versions" from one manufacturer to the next, and more one of what they are comfortable giving access to.
Again, giving I have a Classic Ryzen, I can't really say what would've shown up as available by default, but given the things they've had in that same menu which have been hidden in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if even none of them were accessible to users.

I have PBO enabled under AMD CBS on my Asus Prime x370 Pro board. It appears to work fine. Which is to say, it works exactly like precision boost regular, except the all-core boost is a little higher, and I see more frequent single core boosting of 4.3-4.35. I also see slightly higher voltages and higher temps.

I can't say if this is an almost-ready AMD feature that Asus enabled, or if it's Asus's spin on PBO and it's just labeled all screwy. Whatever it is, it works, and I keep it on.

Here is my 2700X on a Msi 470 Carbon, everything default.
PBO.png

Last edited:
Back