Prebuilt w/ Intel Quadcore and 2 x Intel NICs?

NetJunkie

[H]F Junkie
Looking for a good small silent or quiet box to use as an intelligent firewall. Want quad-core Intel and need two NICs. Would greatly prefer Intel chipset NICs, if possible. Any suggestions?

I gave up my search for something like that, and instead went with a full fledged ESXi Host. The extra functionality is easily justifiable.

Here's what I went with:

Antec ISK-110 w/ 90w PSU
ASRock E3C224D2i ITX mobo
Intel i5-4590S
Noctua NH-L9i
2x8GB DDR3
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

All things told, I think I spent around $600 out of pocket after rebates and promotions, which isn't all that much higher than any of the super low profile embedded solutions. It can host around 4 to 8 VMs (memory limited, mostly), has dual Intel i210 nics as well as IPMI, is virtually silent, and idles around 23w of usage.

I gave up my search for something like that, and instead went with a full fledged ESXi Host. The extra functionality is easily justifiable.

That looks absolutely perfect and in line with my budget. I'm building this to move Untangle from a VM over to a dedicated box. I can almost max out two vCPUs on a E3-1230v2 host and with Google Fiber coming late this year to Charlotte I'm going to need more power. Thank you!

No problem! Glad I could help

edit: one thing to look out for is your power consumption. you'll likely need to upgrade the psu to a picopsu if you don't use an S or T intel cpu, though i've only seen the box hit around 60w under regular load

Last edited:
Back