On the advice of a couple of members here, I am going to tackle overclocking my system. My system is as follows:
Gigabyte P35-DS3R Mobo, FSB 1333, DDR2 800/1066 (OC)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86Ghz
2GB RAM, (2) Super Talent 1GB DDR2-800 PCS6400
GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB
(3) Western Digital HDs, 250GB, WD2500JS
RAID 5 array, 500GB net hard drive space
Antec Sonata III tower
Antec EA-500 power supply
WinXP 32-bit
Nothing is overclocked ATM
I want to overclock to nice and safe conservative level. 3.0 GHz was suggested and after reading here and a couple of other places on the internet, that seems very conservative, as I saw one as high as 3.39 GHz. Most were around 3.15 GHz, so maybe 3.0 GHz isn't so conservative.
Anyway, I think that the first thing to do is to get some cooling coming. This is correct, right? I cannot overclock with the stock HSF, correct? I've been reseaching HSFs. I think I have decided on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It gets great reviews, is pretty quiet (more quiet than the stock fan anyway), and it is inexpensive. The one common downside, however, is that when people complained about it (which weren't many), they complained about the not so easy installation. Would this be a good choice for what I am trying to accomplish? Does anybody use this HSF in a similar setup to mine?
I have only ever removed a heat sink from a CPU once and it came right off. I read that somebody else had a bear of a time getting there's off. Do I need to get some thermal material remover, just in case? Maybe I should just try and remove the stock heat sink before I order?
If there is anything else I should be made aware of, prior to my adventure, please do not hesitate to mention it. I do not really know what I am doing other than looking at other peoples set up and reading the "overclocking how-to" on this forum.
Thanks.
EDIT: Doing all of the calculations for RAM speed, do I need faster RAM? I just read that an ideal ratio is 1:1 when comparing RAM speed and real FSB. Achieving a 1:1 ratio with DDR2-800 RAM, a 400MHz real FSB would only put me at 2.8GHz. I would need to be at 428MHz to achieve 3.0 GHz, which would require 856MHz RAM (if it were made). Is 800MHz RAM close enough to work? I am almost definitely going to order RAM with my HSF, I want to put 4GB in the system. I just want to make sure I get the right stuff. Again, thanks!
Gigabyte P35-DS3R Mobo, FSB 1333, DDR2 800/1066 (OC)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86Ghz
2GB RAM, (2) Super Talent 1GB DDR2-800 PCS6400
GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB
(3) Western Digital HDs, 250GB, WD2500JS
RAID 5 array, 500GB net hard drive space
Antec Sonata III tower
Antec EA-500 power supply
WinXP 32-bit
Nothing is overclocked ATM
I want to overclock to nice and safe conservative level. 3.0 GHz was suggested and after reading here and a couple of other places on the internet, that seems very conservative, as I saw one as high as 3.39 GHz. Most were around 3.15 GHz, so maybe 3.0 GHz isn't so conservative.
Anyway, I think that the first thing to do is to get some cooling coming. This is correct, right? I cannot overclock with the stock HSF, correct? I've been reseaching HSFs. I think I have decided on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It gets great reviews, is pretty quiet (more quiet than the stock fan anyway), and it is inexpensive. The one common downside, however, is that when people complained about it (which weren't many), they complained about the not so easy installation. Would this be a good choice for what I am trying to accomplish? Does anybody use this HSF in a similar setup to mine?
I have only ever removed a heat sink from a CPU once and it came right off. I read that somebody else had a bear of a time getting there's off. Do I need to get some thermal material remover, just in case? Maybe I should just try and remove the stock heat sink before I order?
If there is anything else I should be made aware of, prior to my adventure, please do not hesitate to mention it. I do not really know what I am doing other than looking at other peoples set up and reading the "overclocking how-to" on this forum.
Thanks.
EDIT: Doing all of the calculations for RAM speed, do I need faster RAM? I just read that an ideal ratio is 1:1 when comparing RAM speed and real FSB. Achieving a 1:1 ratio with DDR2-800 RAM, a 400MHz real FSB would only put me at 2.8GHz. I would need to be at 428MHz to achieve 3.0 GHz, which would require 856MHz RAM (if it were made). Is 800MHz RAM close enough to work? I am almost definitely going to order RAM with my HSF, I want to put 4GB in the system. I just want to make sure I get the right stuff. Again, thanks!