Pre-N Pros and Cons

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
I read so many good things about the Belkin Pre-N stuff, but it is all still not a standard and I've very skeptical.

What is the pro's and cons of going Pre-N over 802.11 a/b/g

The Pre N is still G certified, so either way, you still have G to fall back on.

By going Pre N, you'l have better range and throughput and be able to punch throug walls more easy.

What price would you rather pay for a Pre N device?

Pre-N/MIMO routers based on Airgos True MIMO chipset seem to dominate all the Pre-N comparisons I've read out there...Belkin and Linksys are two major brands that use that chipset.

While it's not officially ratified yet...the price of them isn't much more than old G anymore....and since it's backwards compatible with G NICs...well, it's not like the day "N" gets officially ratified that Pre-N products will stop working and be dropped. At the rate people replace/upgrade wireless gear..by the time "N" goes official and products are on the shelves in a year or two....plus considering the fact that they're so cheap...who cares, replace it down the road if you want.

The increase in range is fantastic. Every wireless network I deploy is Pre-N now. Even using prehistoric B adapters...you still benefit the increase in range.

I thought that most pre-n routers now would be able to be flashed to full N, once the standard was decided on.

thespeakerbox said:
I thought that most pre-n routers now would be able to be flashed to full N, once the standard was decided on.

I don't believe so....due to the various chipset out there...Atheros is another popular one. I think most people of their money on Airgo though.

Back