• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pre-Applied Thermal Paste

thehum

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 8, 2006
Messages
74
I bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which already has preapplied thermal paste. I have some arctic silver 3 though. Would it be worth it to put the arctic silver on instead? Anyone know what the temp diff would be? Thanks
 
yes, remove existing thermal paste with Isopropyl alcohol, and then apply AS3 to cleaned surface. Why not if you have it, right???
 
I am not sure why he told you to remove that paste and apply as3 but.... The paste the comes applied already is MX-1, which is far better than as5 or the old as3. You shouldnt remove it at all. Your temps may go up if you use as3 instead.
 
Retsam said:
I am not sure why he told you to remove that paste and apply as3 but.... The paste the comes applied already is MX-1, which is far better than as5 or the old as3. You shouldnt remove it at all. Your temps may go up if you use as3 instead.


You must be joking right? :confused:
 
I had this same question when i got my AC Freezer. After googling and searching, many people highly recommend the stock stuff on there. I would suggest to leave it and instead of using AS3.
 
Leave it on, it is definitely better than AS3. Check here: Link1 and here Link2

Both show MX-1 having 1-2 c lower than AS5 which is obviously better than AS3.
 
I run a freezer 64 on my x2 3800, it's the same paste on there pre applied. When I had to replace the compound my temps went up about 2c and I used AS5. Hope that helps.
 
Viramor said:
The arctic cooling preapplied paste isnt bad either
It's more than "not bad"...it's AC MX-1 and in some tests it actually outperforms cured AS5. There is absolutely no reason to use anything else for the first install.

edit- beaten by a few posts above. :eek:
 
'doh! I removed the paste on my arctic cooling vga cooler and applied AS3 before I got a chance to check back on this thread. Anyway I still haven't installed my freezer 7 yet so thanks for letting me know.
 
Back
Top