Pranks for Nerds

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Since it is April Fool’s day, and it sometimes can be hard do discern an actual prank from real information, I thought it might be nice to give you a list of great tricks you can play on your friends all year long. Grab your tinfoil hat and check it out.

The best geek pranks involve making a gadget or a piece of software appear "broken." Since the tech savvy will quickly notice these pranks, they are best performed on the inept, the perpetually preoccupied and the woefully unaware.

If you want a good laugh, check out ThinkGeek as well.

sweet! Thanks for the link! Going to do the mouse one on my dad! xD lets see how long it will take him(has comp science degree) to figure out. Perfect time to take out the mouseball as hes taking a nap ;). Im going to do this prank on my mom too :p no one can do it to me as I have a optical mouse :D

well that link needs some work..

for swapping keys on the keyboard go for the "n" & "m" keys, they're unlikely to notice the swap straight away.

for the mouse ball, nobody has those these days. try clear sticky tape over the optical window. if done so as to only effect the mouse a little they wont notice. obviously a big paper sticker over the bottom is a dead giveaway.

another one is making the cord shorter, wind it around the monitor pillar, re-route it under the desk in a longer path etc..

another one for the canteen.. swap the persons fork for another knife. i.e. they sit down, realize they picked up two knives so must go back for a fork... they never figure it :p

At a telemarketing company I used to work for I used to take the mouse balls out, switch the keys on the keyboards (no one there could type) and set a screenshot as the desktop to freak everyone out. I also used to delete random junk from the registries and unplug in the room with all the hubs and junk. Needless to say, I hated that job and those idiots. Oh yeah, and I poured chocolate in a keyboard!

At a telemarketing company I used to work for I used to take the mouse balls out, switch the keys on the keyboards (no one there could type) and set a screenshot as the desktop to freak everyone out. I also used to delete random junk from the registries and unplug in the room with all the hubs and junk. Needless to say, I hated that job and those idiots. Oh yeah, and I poured chocolate in a keyboard!

heh so thats says it, that all telemarketers are idiots. (besides you for pranking them xD) anyways why did you got a telemarketing job anyways? hehe.

Anyways it took awhile for my dad to figure out. Then he realized it and he was just like ok its not funny give me back the mouse ball now hehe.

heh so thats says it, that all telemarketers are idiots. (besides you for pranking them xD) anyways why did you got a telemarketing job anyways? hehe.

Anyways it took awhile for my dad to figure out. Then he realized it and he was just like ok its not funny give me back the mouse ball now hehe.

I got the job because there wasn't much else around here. Telemarketing is completely bad, it's needed by a lot of businesses and all that. The reason I didn't like that company is because they were really lazy, broke laws and just didn't care about anything. For one program we would call people for a painting estimate and they would say no, but the computers were messed up so we would keep calling them over and over again because no one would fix the computer system. We called people ten times a night even after they asked to be put on the do-not-call list. People were pissed but the company never bothered to fix the problem and left it up to the lowly phone people to deal with them. They did this type of stuff for everyone, including charities like the March of Dimes.

I just recently did the wallpaper desktop thing to a buddy of mine who's entire desktop is icons...but to do it right you need to install TweakUI to get rid of the trash bin too. I also move the start bar to the right side.

He's actually pretty tech minded, and it took him ten minutes to figure it out, and the frustrated looks were priceless as all he could do was move the mouse around!!! He finally figured it out only because he moved the mouse over the right side and brought out the start bar!!! LOL

Funny thing, he looked right at me!!

I've been doing this for YEARS...I've gotten alot of people with it!

Looks like thinkgeek's prank backfired a little, although in a good way for them . They had such a demand for one of their joke products (the 8-bit tie) that they are actually going to make it now.

Looks like thinkgeek's prank backfired a little, although in a good way for them . They had such a demand for one of their joke products (the 8-bit tie) that they are actually going to make it now.

I want that 8-bit tie! :D

LOL @ WiiHelm

The WiiHelm does not include a Wii console or controller. You need to supply your own, or trade your PS3 for a Wii on eBay. Games requiring the Nunchuck are currently not supported by the WiiHelm*
heh, trade your PS3 for a Wii on eBay :p

Back