Practical uses for old machines ?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by debaser_, Jun 3, 2005.

1. debaser_

debaser_ Limp Gawd

I have about 6 old 500 mhz or so celerons laying around. I would not think about installing any windows version newer than 98se on them, which i wouldnt, so here is my dilemma... I want to use them for something other than a firewall, router, etc.

Does anyone think that i could get any use out of them by installing a lightweight distro on them w/ openoffice, firefox etc, and donating them to charity or a school? Of course the easiest window manager for people to grasp would be kde or gnome, but both are too resource hungry for my tastes, espeacially in this scenario. I was thinking about fedora w/ fluxbox.

This is all just brainstorming at this point. I would like to know if anyone else has some suggestions that may be better.

Thanks

2. omega-x

omega-x 2[H]4U

you'd be surprised how well XP can run on old machines once you turn the fluff off.

also, 256mb or more of ram helps alot.

any school that you donate it to is just gonna ghost their standard XP image onto it anyway.

3. BollWeevil

BollWeevil Limp Gawd

500 Mhz is far better than the machines I'm running gui linux and XP on, and they run smoothly. Like omega-x says, with enough ram, you'll be fine.

4. Nn'theraq'pss

Nn'theraq'pss Limp Gawd

5. QwertyJuan

QwertyJuan [H]ardForum Junkie

I have personally found that XP works better on a 500mhzish machine then alot of linux ditros... *shrugs*

QJ

6. Heliocentrical

Heliocentrical 2[H]4U

True. I have a P2 450 with 256mb ram running XP Pro. Runs great. Use it as a media PC. I have a CDRW\DVD combo and about 6gigs of music.

7. Morphius143

Morphius143 [H]Lite

I wouldnt suggest donating them to schools... I do tech support for 10 and people always think they are being helpfull, but to build a fresh image we have to faff about getting drivers and often they are more hassle than they are worth...especially when even primary schools now hardly have a use for anything less than 512ram and at least decent celerons (a lot go for P4s)

Just use them a test rigs, you have a chance to try out various OSs, try out distrubted computing, set them all folding... See how much electricty you can burn up in a hour :-D

8. Malk-a-mite

Malk-a-mite [H]ard|Gawd

Worst case, wander over to the trade forum and see if anyone will take them off you hands for something else.

9. randyc

randyc Best Person

I would never donate to the schools mainly because I attend high school at the moment and have found that all the way from elementary school, only people that ever appreciated the donations and actually used the computers/cared for them were the elementary teachers. The junior highs and high schools just allow them to get mistreated.

I'd rather give 'em to a friend or store in my garage.

-randyc

10. t00thless

t00thless Limp Gawd

^ what he said

im an admin for a public school system. before you do any work, contact schools or charities to see if they want them. we do not accept donated computers because they're too much of a pain.

i just dont want to you to put a lot of time in them, only to find no one wants them.

11. debaser_

debaser_ Limp Gawd

all comments taken in. im glad i didnt waste my time. thx

12. oboyco

oboyco Gawd

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of low income families that would just love to have a computer of any kind, but can't afford it. You may want to check out that avenue.

13. pettybone

pettybone Gawd

who ever you sell/give the computers too, try to make a disc with drivers for each computer. the red cross or green peace could maybe make some use of the computers.
    good luck

14. ShimmyT

ShimmyT Gawd

If u don't have a firewall, one of those would make a good Linux box. Also put them up in the for sale/trade forum. I'm always looking for a decent test box so I can have Linux running at all times.

15. jeffmoss26

jeffmoss26 2[H]4U

I have a couple older machines that run XP fine. They are P3-500, P3-600, and Celeron 700. They all have 128MB of RAM and I have not noticed any issues. Maybe you could install different OS's and use them for testing, etc.

16. AtomicFire

AtomicFire [H]ard|Gawd

I have 8 450mhz computers running in a linux cluster to crack WEP keys. Personal testing....of course. ;)

17. QwertyJuan

QwertyJuan [H]ardForum Junkie

LOL :D

QJ

18. scobar

scobar .

Use an old box for a file server.

I would donate them to charity if you don't need them.

I would persoinally not put windows xp on them boxes. I would go with something like win2k, or, experiment with other stuff.

19. AcidTone

AcidTone Limp Gawd

I have to agree with Morphius, I am the network admin for a public school district. I pretty much hate when we get computers donated because they are usually different brands than we use and take forever to get set up with a decent image.

20. Blitzrommel

Blitzrommel 2[H]4U

At least you have images! I deal with 5 car dealerships that have all sorts of makes and models. Can't utilize Ghost images. :(

21. acascianelli

acascianelli [H]ardness Supreme

I built a test environment from scrap parts at work comprised of mostly p2 400@450+ with 256mb of ram. They are running windows xp just fine.