PPTP VPN w/ PDANet Anyone?

OldSchool

Limp Gawd
So I want to get on the smart phone bandwagon (specifically android), but the ability to tether to my netbook (via USB) and connect to the PPTP VPN that runs off of my pfsense machine is an absolute necessity. Before I make my purchase I have been trying to accomplish this with my friend's phones so that I know it will work, unfortunately to no avail...

I have the full version of PdaNet installed on my netbook (Win 7 Ultimate 32bit btw), and we put the latest PdaNet on my friend's EVO (which is on Sprint). I followed the instruction to put it in USB Debugging mode, then started PdaNet and it connected successfully with internet access on my netbook. However when trying to connect to the VPN in windows I get "Error 619".

So after some searching I find that according to the people who make PdaNet you need to connect to the VPN directly from the phone itself. So I add the VPN in the VPN settings on the phone, and connect with security enabled, and it says Connected without issue. I again fire up PdaNet and connect it to my netbook, and it says connected with internet. However it appears to still be using the Sprint network for internet access, as I am unable to ping any of my internal IPs on my network and I go to ipchicken.com and it shows me using a Sprint IP address.

To further troubleshoot, I disconnect the netbook and fire up the RDP client on the phone itself (while still connected to the VPN mind you), and try to connect to my workstation IP (10.1.4.44) and it times out :(

Am I missing something here? Is there a command prompt on the EVO that I can use to ping and test connectivity to the VPN? Any setting I may have missed? I have tried this on 2 different phones with no luck, any tips?

So I want to get on the smart phone bandwagon (specifically android), but the ability to tether to my netbook (via USB) and connect to the PPTP VPN that runs off of my pfsense machine is an absolute necessity. Before I make my purchase I have been trying to accomplish this with my friend's phones so that I know it will work, unfortunately to no avail...

I have the full version of PdaNet installed on my netbook (Win 7 Ultimate 32bit btw), and we put the latest PdaNet on my friend's EVO (which is on Sprint). I followed the instruction to put it in USB Debugging mode, then started PdaNet and it connected successfully with internet access on my netbook. However when trying to connect to the VPN in windows I get "Error 619".

So after some searching I find that according to the people who make PdaNet you need to connect to the VPN directly from the phone itself. So I add the VPN in the VPN settings on the phone, and connect with security enabled, and it says Connected without issue. I again fire up PdaNet and connect it to my netbook, and it says connected with internet. However it appears to still be using the Sprint network for internet access, as I am unable to ping any of my internal IPs on my network and I go to ipchicken.com and it shows me using a Sprint IP address.

To further troubleshoot, I disconnect the netbook and fire up the RDP client on the phone itself (while still connected to the VPN mind you), and try to connect to my workstation IP (10.1.4.44) and it times out :(

Am I missing something here? Is there a command prompt on the EVO that I can use to ping and test connectivity to the VPN? Any setting I may have missed? I have tried this on 2 different phones with no luck, any tips?

Why wouldn't it use the sprint network for access? PDANet is a tethering app that uses your cell network in lieu of an available wifi connection for a full size computer... Other than the obvious fact that you're always going to be using sprints network while using PDANet, I have nothing else to point out...

*shrugs*

Yes, it uses the sprint network for access, but after connected to the VPN it should allow me to contact internal IP address on my home network. 10. addresses....

Back