• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PPTP VPN server behind Gateway/Firewall solutions?

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1,798
I have a friend who owns a small law firm, and he is trying to come up with a VPN solution to his office while he is at home or mobile. I'm not super knowledgeable in this particular field, but after doing some research I told him he might have good luck with the Cisco RV110W router which has VPN server capabilities (we planed on using PPTP). The problem with this option is this particular network is using a EdgeMarc 4500T4 router as the gateway for the VoIP service and cannot be replaced. The Cisco router can only use the VPN capabilities from the WAN port which would put everything on a different/separate subnet.

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap PPTP VPN server? I've already called the company who manages the Gateway router and had them forward TCP port 1723 to a specific IP.

I was thinking of a Linux server to handle this, but could there be an easier option? He does have a cracked out Dell Optiplex machine that is on the fritz that may take a Linux distro., but I'd rather not waste a weekend tinkering around to find out it was a waste of time.
 
Thanks for the link. I knew PPTP was one of the older VPN protocols, but I didn't realize it was that insecure. I'll see if my friend will want to continue going this route or opt for a more secure option.
 
Back
Top