PPTP Server behind firewall; ports to forward

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
Sorry, I jumped the gun a little bit initially, and now have moved on to another question. So the title doesn't properly describe this.

I have a dedicated server running poptop for pptp that runs behind a firewall. The router is running tomato and has a upnp server. Is there any way to have upnp support from the vpn connections? Thanks

Not sure, but to answer your first question, you need to open up port 1723 and protocol 47 (GRE).

Thanks. About the first question, I solved it already. I knew to forward tcp 1723. However, I wasn't sure how to forward gre 47. So I simply omitted gre47 forwarding and it still works just fine.

Thanks. About the first question, I solved it already. I knew to forward tcp 1723. However, I wasn't sure how to forward gre 47. So I simply omitted gre47 forwarding and it still works just fine.

It's a setting which allows the NAT to allow IP type 47 to pass through "unmolested"..as it's not a NAT friendly protocol. It's nothing to do with opening/forwarding a port...it's not "port 47". Often many consumer grade routers will just have a checkbox to allow PPTP VPN traffic, and you'll often see L2P also. Many routers also just allow it to pass by default.

Back