Ppolycom units through untangle?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Trying to get 2 units to talk to each other over the internet. I have both units configured to auto recive calls, and also the ports forwarded.

I cannot seem to get these to work, unsure it it may be an UT issue or not.

the units themselves. Trying to get them to call each other over the internet. Had one in the bosses office the other day watching him/lipping off but no dice over the internet:(

Polycom endpoints are going to use either H.323 or SIP for calls. Untangle, or any Linux distro as far as I know, is not capable of doing H.323 or SIP fixup to change the embedded IP addresses within the H.323 or SIP messages to the external IP address. Do the Polycom endpoints has a STUN or option for your to configure the external address?

If you want to try to dial out to a unit with a public address shoot me an PM and we can work something out for tomorrow. When I'm at work.

Usually with the units behind firewall I have to have them dial out to me. I've never had mine behind a firewall

Might have to setup some bypass rules for the voice stuff. I seem to remember having to do that for a client that was using IP phones over a site-to-site VPN tunnel.

I forwarded the ports required for the unit, I believe ports 3229-3237 is what the manual said.

Both UDP and TCP are forwarded.

The last time I had to setup Polycom's, it was a 5000 and we had some issues geting it to speak to the outside world. In my case it turned out to be a defective unit, but Polycom tech support was WONDERFUL! They have an open loopback and callback feed to the world for exactly the kind of testing it sound like you are trying to do. As I recall, their Tech support had me forward more than the standard ports, but I'll have to dig throuh old notes to find that. I'd give them a call, especially if they are new units!

these units where end of life /discontinued units. I might have a 5000 unit. ill check when I get back to the office.

Don't know if this will help or not but a port scan of one of my units shows these ports as open. I know port 80 is used for web administration on mine.

80/tcp open http
443/tcp open https
990/tcp open ftps
993/tcp open imaps
1720/tcp open H.323/Q.931
5001/tcp open commplex-link

To further the previous poster, this is my forwarded port list specifically to the Polycom:

TCP: 1503,1718-1720, 1731, 3230 - 3253
UDP: 3230 - 3253

5060 is used for sip so I would make sure that is open as well. If you need a SIP provider, I just happen to work for one so PM me if needing service :p

Never messed with Untangle, does it have any SIP ALG stuff like sonicwalls do? That will mess with transmission and registration with a pbx as well. On a side note, why polycom? Their firmware update process is less than user friendly.

990, 993, 1720, 5001, 1718-1720, 1731, 3230-3253, 5060, these are all forwarded.

Your going to need to go to networking>advanced>bypass rules and create a bypass rule to prevent Untangle from scanning the phone traffic. Ensure you have created both firewall rules to allow the traffic and port forwards to redirect it.

Your going to need to go to networking>advanced>bypass rules and create a bypass rule to prevent Untangle from scanning the phone traffic. Ensure you have created both firewall rules to allow the traffic and port forwards to redirect it.

So whatever I have in my port forwards needs to be in the bypass rules?

Bypass rules tell Untangle to not run the traffic through the UVM. Untangle scanning will add latency, so you need to bypass it so that you dont have latency issues. Bypass rules should be formatted by protocol, destination port, and source interface.

Source interface: internal, external
Protocol: TCP or UDP
Destination port: XXXX

Thats all you need. You can specify port ranges, so if your trunk requires 5060 and 10001-20000 like my callcentric trunks do, then you can specify destination port 10001-20000 and it will work. So really, you should only need a hand full of bypass rules.

I am using netmeting from work to try to hit the unit at home. It isnt working. I am also not able to hit one of the test ip's with this.

I can hit the test site from home, but I cannot get both units to hit each other unless they are on the same lan/vpn.

Can't hit the test site from the other end.

Bypass rules are set and port forwards are set.

I am going to double check how the units are configured.

Back