PPD not even close...

Hello everyone....long time folder, probably my first question.

I recently switched over to the SMP client on my X6 rig. HFM indicates I should be getting approximately 12,500 PPD on my CPU. It's not even close as you can see here...

http://kakaostats.com/usum.php?u=437954

Any ideas as to what's going on? I've used the -smp 6 -verbosity 9 arguments and all 6 cores are working @ 100% as indicated in task manager.

1) Do you have a passkey? If not, get one.
2) If you have a passkey, have you put it in the client? If not, do so (You can edit the .cfg file with something like wordpad, just copy/paste the passkey where the cfg file says).
3) If you have a passkey and it's associated with your SMP client, has your client folded 10 SMP2 WUs? If not, then wait and twiddle your thumbs. The bonus that gives SMP2 the majority of its points relies on the passkey - if you haven't folded at least 10 SMP2 WUs, or if you complete less than 80% of the WUs you get, then you won't get the bonus. That is most likely why you have such an abysmal haul from your X6. Get a passkey, slap it into the client, and be patient. It'll get there.

Thank you so much. I just grabbed a passkey. I wasn't even aware of it.

Should I see the passkey in the client when it starts?

Last edited:
Can we add that to the FAQ..... that is the best I've seen it put.

The config.cfg file should look something like this:
Code:
[settings]
username=musky
team=33
passkey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx             
asknet=no
machineid=1
bigpackets=big
extra_parms=-smp 16 -bigadv
local=8

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080

[core]
priority=96
addr=

It doesn't look like you actually see your passkey when you run the client. As long as it is in your config.cfg when you start the client, you are set.

Last edited:
note: after you finish 10 WU's with the passkey you will start seeing the correct points for the WU's..

Thank you so much. I just grabbed a passkey. I wasn't even aware of it.

Should I see the passkey in the client when it starts?

No, it will just notify you can your passkey was found everytime it starts and downloads a new WU. If you don't want to edit your config file, you can also do the setup all over again by typing [email protected] -configonly and put the passkey in when prompted.

Glad to have another AMD fan folding as Thuban has really made AMD competitive in folding once again. Any plans to overclock?

Absolutely. I'm currently running at 3.5ghz (all cores) but intend to go up to 4 ghz when I set up my water cooling sometime this week.

Anyway to stop the SMP client from downloading Protomol units that only use 1 processor? I really hate this "smp" client.

Last edited:
If your getting single core units something isn't set up correctly.

Mind posting your log file?

Also make sure you are starting the client with the -smp flag.

freeloader

I thought the same thing. till i finnally got it right. now i cant figure out why i had such a hard time

Absolutely. I'm currently running at 3.5ghz (all cores) but intend to go up to 4 ghz when I set up my water cooling sometime this week.

Anyway to stop the SMP client from downloading Protomol units that only use 1 processor? I really hate this "smp" client.

You don't need water for 4Ghz unless that chip requires an insane amount of voltage to be stable. I am only using 1.5V @ 4.3Ghz on air with a TT120...With all six cores loaded 100% and 2 8800 series cards under full load, I'm seeing 50.1C right now...When it warms up (this is a sunroom with windows on all 3 sides), temps usually rise to about 54C..I have been toying with the idea of adding my Koolance Exos into the mix, but honestly am not sure it's worth the hassle..

Glad to have another AMD fan folding as Thuban has really made AMD competitive in folding once again. Any plans to overclock?

Got my x6 folding away too, i'm waiting for bulldozer next year especially the 12core version, on a dual chip server board:cool::D

Got my x6 folding away too, i'm waiting for bulldozer next year especially the 12core version, on a dual chip server board:cool::D

Why not do a quad chip motherboard? :)

I wish AMD would give us a better idea of when Bulldozer will be coming out. I really wish it would come out this coming winter as that is when i'll be ready to add another rig. It would be awesome if Sapphire was working on a Bulldozer version of the SR2 motherboard as we speak!

The main reasons are cost and size - i can hide an E-atx board but not an SSI board, cost wise the wife would go nuts. She has no idea how i much i've spent already;)

The main reasons are cost and size - i can hide an E-atx board but not an SSI board, cost wise the wife would go nuts. She has no idea how i much i've spent already;)

Yeah, I did notice those quad cpu motherboards are just frickin huge. I wouldn't even know what kind of case you could put them in since an E-ATX already requires a giant full size tower case. On the plus side, you could tell your wife how your hobby is doing so much good for society as it is furthering the pursuit of knowledge. You could probably get away much easier than say a car enthusiast who goes and puts a hot cam, full length headers, and a loud performance intake on the "family car."

I wish AMD would give us a better idea of when Bulldozer will be coming out. I really wish it would come out this coming winter as that is when i'll be ready to add another rig. It would be awesome if Sapphire was working on a Bulldozer version of the SR2 motherboard as we speak!

probably wont be coming out til mid/end of the second quarter of 2011 if were lucky.. though i dont think we really need an SR2 amd board.. there are opteron boards out there that overclock already.. its just a pain in the ass to find them.. saw a guy running a dual 12 core rig(24 threads total) at 4 ghz on each processor a few months ago..

Yeah, I did notice those quad cpu motherboards are just frickin huge. I wouldn't even know what kind of case you could put them in since an E-ATX already requires a giant full size tower case. On the plus side, you could tell your wife how your hobby is doing so much good for society as it is furthering the pursuit of knowledge. You could probably get away much easier than say a car enthusiast who goes and puts a hot cam, full length headers, and a loud performance intake on the "family car."

It would probably have to go into a server case of some description. Tyan do one prebuilt with board etc but the cost is plain stupid and i'm pretty sure supermicro do as well for similar amounts.

As for the car, Does a Honda type R giving 212bhp from 2.2litres count??:D Just don't tell Nitro - he has a thing for VTEC engines:confused:

Finally got it working correctly thanks to the Hardforum guide! :)

Now to install the SMP client on my other two quads. :D

It would probably have to go into a server case of some description. Tyan do one prebuilt with board etc but the cost is plain stupid and i'm pretty sure supermicro do as well for similar amounts.

As for the car, Does a Honda type R giving 212bhp from 2.2litres count??:D Just don't tell Nitro - he has a thing for VTEC engines:confused:

I had you beat for a short time, as I once owned a Suzuka Blue Honda S2000 with a 2.2 litre I4 that made 240hp stock. Got rid of it as insurance rates were crazy on it, and it wasn't too practical. Once you got over that giddy feeling of being able to rev a factory production motor to 9300rpms, you realized that it made a seriously crummy daily driver in rush hour traffic as it was very torque challenged. You know it is bad in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic when even Grandma in her Mercury Grand Marquis can out-jockey you for position.

Oh, and

"Nitormethane is for pussies" -Vin Diesel, one of my more favorite quotes from his latest F&F movie

I'm curious whether there are any quad cpu boards out there that are E-ATX and thus could fit in a full tower case.

Finally got it working correctly thanks to the Hardforum guide! :)

Now to install the SMP client on my other two quads. :D

Congrats! Can't wait to see you arrive on my threat list.

Back