• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Powmax PSU are crap right?

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
3,194
I already think of pow max in the same category as say... deer but what I need to know is just how bad is the psu.

Powmax LP-990 D DC 400w max (yeah right)
Oh not to mention that its about 2/3 the length of a normal ATX PSU
and I think my heat sick (although it is made of mostly copper) and my video card weighs more than this POS.

I'll try to run MBM and look at what it says.

I'm not that good at looking up PSU info because I don't know as much as I need to about electricy. Its in s asystem with:

3x Dvd writers (HP 300c thats not the OEM name)
1x 40gig hd WD400BB
1x pci modem,
1x generic boistar socke A board
cpu unknown for now (athlon thorough bread core 1152 Mhz)
1x micros pc2700 2.5cl vlaue ram
1x generic spectek 2700 2.5cl

If you want to know why a self respecting tech like myself would even touch a system like this... I need money :( Its not mine. Someone bought this and now the want me to play cleanup.

Also to add to this mix is this a real Fortron PSU that can be trusted? By my loose calculations it should work alright in this system if this is a ture Fortorn.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-104-988&DEPA=0
 
CRAP.

CR-FUCKING-AP. I could pull apart the "400W" powmax that I have here and explain in engineering terms exactly why it's a piece of shit, but that's a waste of time.

Spend the extra couple bucks and get a cheap fortron/hec/something. If you want cheap, get an Antec SL350 or something.
 
Hmmm... I might sell him my old smart power 350, either way is that a read fortron PSU?
 
gee said:
CRAP.

CR-FUCKING-AP. I could pull apart the "400W" powmax that I have here and explain in engineering terms exactly why it's a piece of shit, but that's a waste of time.
Do it! It's not a waste of time! You'll give everyone a nice long good laugh!
 
Not sure if fortron makes Hi-Q power power supplies.. I was looking at a 350 watt one at newegg and they had a Hi-Q one for 25.. dont really trust it though... doesnt seem right.
 
L0s7 4 Lyf3 said:
Do it! It's not a waste of time! You'll give everyone a nice long good laugh!
when i'm not working 16 hour days, I'll post it... perhaps wednesday.
 
Hi-Q is definitely Fortron-Source, as are Power-Q, Powerman, Aopen (PSUs only), Trend, Sparkle, Powertech (watch it -- it could be misspelled Powertek), Trend, and at least some Casedge. Hi-Q and Power-Q are some of their budget brand lines (I don't know about Powertech) but are inferior only in that they have sleeve bearing fans. Nothing else is cheapened, as is often the case with Channel Well Technology (some are identical to Antecs, others are junk).
 
gee said:
CRAP.

CR-FUCKING-AP. I could pull apart the "400W" powmax that I have here and explain in engineering terms exactly why it's a piece of shit, but that's a waste of time.

Spend the extra couple bucks and get a cheap fortron/hec/something. If you want cheap, get an Antec SL350 or something.


qft

I hate the low charcter limit
 
PowMax :rolleyes:

DSC01884.sized.jpg


DSC01885.sized.jpg


DSC01887.sized.jpg
 
Back
Top