PowerUSB on Thin Clients

Suck_My_Deck

[H]F Junkie
We've got a bunch of Motorola Symbol LS3008 bar code scanners for a project at work. I admit I know basically nothing about barcode scanners and when we ordered these I assumed they would be standard USB connections. However upon receiving them I find they are in fact 12V power USB.

It would not be an issue if we had regular PCs to attach these to since there are power USB PCI cards out there, however these are going to be attached to older HP thin clients PCs so add on cards are not an option.

I've scoured the internet and contacted the people we bought them from, neither of which was very helpful. I have seen power USB to regular USB cables, however they require an additional power supply which I can't seem to find any source for.

I've never really dealt with power USB connections. It appears they've been mostly used on cash registers up until lately (which explains why a barcode scanner would have that connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Power USB connector:
VhYoU.jpg

(green is 12v, red is 24v)

On the Motorola site you linked there's an accessories tab. It has external power supplies for them. Perhaps you could order some of those, then buy a USB to USB cable to attach it to the laptops? Unless they're prohibitively expensive. That said, I have an external power supply that came with my IDE/SATA to USB connector (pretty cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186036 ). It has a 4 pin molex connector only to connect to HDDs/ODDs/etc. Maybe you can find one of these then go: 4-pin molex -> Power USB; USB -> USB to USB Cable -> USB port?

I imagine Motorola gave you a spec sheet or something prior to confirming your bulk order, but maybe you can try and contest and return the product for one that only needs regular USB? It really only says USB on the interface specs on the web site.

Back