Powersupply recommendation?

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
I recently upgraded to a GTX780 and I'm starting to have issues with my HX1000 making my PC lockup at times during gaming. (add psu for video card only, no issues but I don't have room for that.) and I need recommendations. I been looking at Seasonic X-1250 but this might be overkill in this setup.

Specs:
Asus Z87-PRO
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz 1.2v
16GB Gskill 1866 8x8gb ram.
EVGA GTX780 superclocked
Sound blaster Z
Watercooled, with 5 fans.
SSD + 4, 2TB hard drives in raid 10.
DVD-RW.

Requirements, Basically best of the best as I don't upgrade the powersupply often. also has to be a true single rail design.

Wow, that's a lot less watts then I remember needing 3 years ago when I got this. Fine by me, less out of pocket. :)

Thanks Kyle. still open for other suggestions.

The modern processors and videocards are more efficient these days.

Is your HX1000 still under (5 year?) warranty? I would contact Corsair if so.

The modern processors and videocards are more efficient these days.

Is your HX1000 still under (5 year?) warranty? I would contact Corsair if so.

It is, problem is I would be without a computer for a week if I do that and will be doing it when I get a new PSU since I only have spare 300w Hipro and Dell powersupplies haha. Enough I had to steal the HX850 from another pc to test. :eek:

Wow, that's a lot less watts then I remember needing 3 years ago when I got this.
A lot of PSU calculators seem to be set up on the assumption that the user will buy a shitty PSU that can't actually deliver it's rated output and as such they add massive safety margins.

You can probably use a quality 650W unit and be set for a while, so long as you avoid SLI and loading an aftermarket bios on the 780 pushing 1.21 or higher volts.

I've used a Seasonic X650 and a Kingwin LZP 650 and both were excellent units. The Kingwin handled a 2700k @ 4.8 and a GTX 690 + water cooling for the time I had it.

Seasonic X660/760 or Corsair AX760 are excellent choices for your rig with at least 200W headroom to spare even when heavily OCed. Anything >850W is wayyyy too overkill unless you're going to SLI and/or 2+ socket in the future.

Sent the OP a PM. I agree with everyone's post Seasonics are the way to go. XFX Pro Series PSUs are re branded Seasonics and just as good!

At least when you RMA the HX1000, you'll most likely get one of the recent PSUs in the same wattage class (HX1050 Gold) since the HX1000 is long since EOL.

A lot of PSU calculators seem to be set up on the assumption that the user will buy a shitty PSU that can't actually deliver it's rated output and as such they add massive safety margins.

I agree, neweggs psu calculator estimates pretty high. I use thermaltakes psu calculator and even that estimates a tad high.

At least when you RMA the HX1000, you'll most likely get one of the recent PSUs in the same wattage class (HX1050 Gold) since the HX1000 is long since EOL.

I will find out soon. Getting it back this week.

I just received my replacement. Still a HX1000 'New' in box. I will sell it since its still a dual rail setup.

I have used many brands, Corsair being the most recent. The AX series has great efficiency.

I have specifically used the Corsair AX Series 850, 860 & 1200 PSU's. They appear to be top quality.

I had an older version AX 850 fail and after talking to Corsair they were willing to mail me the replacement unit the same day I mailed out the dead unit. Total down time was 3 days which is not bad at all.

My experiences with RMA'ing an Antec PSU were not as smooth.

Doesn't Seasonic make Corsair?

I have used many brands, Corsair being the most recent. The AX series has great efficiency.

I have specifically used the Corsair AX Series 850, 860 & 1200 PSU's. They appear to be top quality.

I had an older version AX 850 fail and after talking to Corsair they were willing to mail me the replacement unit the same day I mailed out the dead unit. Total down time was 3 days which is not bad at all.

My experiences with RMA'ing an Antec PSU were not as smooth.

Doesn't Seasonic make Corsair?

Many of them are Seasonic, but also Channel Well, Flextronics, and Chicony make PSUs for them.

I just received my replacement. Still a HX1000 'New' in box. I will sell it since its still a dual rail setup.

Wow, that's bad luck. I've seen people having their old PSUs replaced with recent models, but sometimes it doesn't happen I guess. Yeah, just sell it off. It's old, relatively inefficient and a good excuse to get something new.

I would recommend the Seasonic X650, 660 or 750/760 or Corsair AX equivalents if you want probably the best of the best. I have also used some Rosewill and NZXT power supplies and they are pretty good too and most time cheaper when on sale. Rosewill Capstone and Tachyon models are pretty solid. I currently use a NZXT Hale90 1k on my main rig and it is pretty good (love the white color too).

Yes the x650 is plenty enough. The fan on it doesn't kick on until the unit hits 50% load I believe and I have never seen it turn on. I run a 2600k @4.4GHz and 7970 @1.15GHz. Even dual cards is very feasible on it.

I have the X750 Seasonic and love it. Never an issue. I helped a buddy rebuild a PC I sold him about 7 years ago.. it has a Seasonic M12 650W in it still running strong. Fan did have a little bit of noise to it though. So far I have never had any strange noises from a Seasonic. I have had all kinds of wierd noises with my Corsair units. The RM units look interesting though!

Back