PowerSupply Recommendation

Soldier101

Gawd
I built a new PC using a Corsair HX650 power supply.

This thing chirps non stop and after doing some research it appears they all do.

I am looking for a replacement powersupply so that I can return this one to newegg.

Requirements are:

At least 650 watts
Quiet (but doesnt HAVE to have a fanless mode)
Modular (only use power leads I need)

Take the bird out, that stops it. :cool:

What do you mean by chirp? Coil whine of course i have heard of, but not chirping.

I googled it and found a few videos with sound..... That sound is annoying!

I have 5 corsair PS's but non of them do that thank God!

I would RMA it. It's probably clipping a wire inside the PSU that wasnt secured properly.

They don't all do it. The original Seasonic units are not affected. Just some of the new CWT versions do it. It's not random either and is from what I can tell related to the fan PWM control.

I stand corrected the newer HX650 is also a Seasonic unit. Nonehtheless the older version is unaffected and it's only some of the newer ones that are.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have done research and it seems like the HX750 doesn't do it. So I am trying to get with NewEgg to see if I can exchange it for one of those.

I built a new PC using a Corsair HX650 power supply.

This thing chirps non stop and after doing some research it appears they all do.

I am looking for a replacement powersupply so that I can return this one to newegg.

Requirements are:

At least 650 watts
Quiet (but doesnt HAVE to have a fanless mode)
Modular (only use power leads I need)

I just bought one of these last week for my secondary rig and have had no problems at all with the HX650, its a seasonic unit. Perhaps yours is defective?

They don't all do it. The original Seasonic units are not affected. Just some of the new CWT versions do it. It's not random either and is from what I can tell related to the fan PWM control.

the hx650 is a seasonic unit, although that doesnt mean all psu's in that line necessarily are

CX/Other low end supplies-CWT
TX(Mid end)-CWT(V1, not sold), Seasonic(V2), Chicony(V3).
HX/AX-Seasonic(low wattage), Flextronics(high wattage)

Alot of corsair power supplies chirp/coil whine but Corsair's excellent customer service will take care of you(I got 2 defective CX750 in a row so they upgraded me to TX750 V2 free)

Last edited:
CX/Other low end supplies-CWT
TX(Mid end)-CWT(V1, not sold), Seasonic(V2), Chicony(V3).
HX/AX-Seasonic(low wattage), Flextronics(high wattage)

Actually, it depends also on the wattage even for the TX and HX lines. It is actually this:

CX/Other low end supplies-CWT (except the no-longer-available CX400 and VX450, which were Seasonic)
TX(Mid end)-CWT(750W/850W V1 and 650W TX650C, not sold; 650W V3, currently available), Seasonic(Original 650W V1 and all V2), Chicony(750W and 850W V3).
TX-M-CWT (all V1 and 650W and lower V2), Chicony(750W and higher V2)
HX-Seasonic(650W and lower), CWT(750W and higher)
AX-Seasonic(850W and lower non-i), Flextronics(1200W and all i)

Last edited:
Back