PowerPlay and RAM speed issue on HD6950

Bakku

Limp Gawd
I recently upgrade from HD4850 to HD6950 (I did the unlock to HD6970), and have been using it for two weeks now. The card is a great performer on all the recent games and I am quite happy with it.

However, when I fire up my legacy game like Warcraft 3, I notice texture flickering through out the gameplay. After some digging and using GPU-Z to double check, I was able to identify the root cause of the flickering issue. The flickering is caused by the card switching the RAM speed between 150MHz (desktop mode) and 1375MHz (3D mode). The game is so lightweight to HD6950 that, PowerPlay actually tries run the game using "Low mode", which the card runs at 250/150 for core and ram. During game play, PowerPlay keeps switching between "Low" (250/150) & "High" mode (880/1375) and causing the flicker to occur.

For now, I am able to workaround the issue by modifying the "Profiles.xml" in CCC. After setting the RAM speed to 1375 across "Low", "Medium" and "High" mode, the flickering disappears in WarCraft 3.

I am trying to resolve the issue more permanently by trying to modify the BIOS. So far, I've only changed the RAM value to 1375 under "Clock info 01". But the card refuse to boot with the new BIOS setting (always blue screen). Does anyone know how to modify the ram speed in BIOS the correct way to make it boot?

A bit of a scabby work around, but you could leave a GPU-accelerated video open in the background to force the clock speed to 500mhz. The modified profile seems a bit better though.

The modified CCC profiles.xml works just fine actually, but I want to make the change at BIOS level. For some strange reason, my card won't boot after a simple change to the memory speed.

Back