Powerout, Windows freezes loading mup.sys, won't reinstall, chkdsk errors reappearing

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
The power went out a few days ago, I have a surge protector but I was at work all day and didn't know what happened. I went home to find my computer off... No problem I thought, I'll just turn it back on as usual...

Oh oh, CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded... so the power outage somehow reset my CMOS, that's never happened before. Checked the battery, even replaced it, then I reset the bios settings to what they were before and went to boot windows.

Okay...black screen...reboot again, try safe mode, watching the boot log and it freezes on loading mup.sys. I google and find lots of sites where people are having similar problems but all claiming different results and conclusions, even to the point that it's not mup.sys but whatever's loading afterwards that is the problem because it is different for every system. I'm relatively clueless about what to do right now, so I keep looking and a guy claiming to be from Microsoft apologizes for all the confusion and states that freezing on mup.sys is caused by corrupt hdd sectors...

Oh great, so the power outage corrupted my harddrive. He suggests running recovery console from the XP bootdisk (which is a headache having to reload SATA drivers everytime I do it) and then using chkdsk /p to see if there are errors and indeed there are so I run chkdsk /r to repair them and it does. Most people claim this fixes their mup.sys problems but when I rebooted, it froze on mup.sys again...so I load recovery console again and run chkdsk and there are errors again...what is happening?

I get frustrated repeating this process over and over again so I say fine! I'll do an auto-recovery save, which promptly completely reformats my harddrive (I didn't realize it would do that to my chagrin) and I scream and smash things. Luckily, I did have an HDD backup of essential files but it's only 9GB (but includes windows, program files, all my apps, custom setup, etc.) but it's back from februrary but it should be perfectly fine since my computer was in great shape then. The only negative is that I lose all the stuff I added to the my documents folder since February and also all my games but those can be reinstalled (but not the saves). So I load the bkf from autorecovery save. Okay great, so basically my hdd has been reformated and windows has been reinstalled and backup files restored after a lot of work...

Freezes on mup.sys again, chkdsk /p shows errors again, ARRGHHH!!!!
I then proceed to go crazy and do a complete fresh installation of windows from fresh, doing a complete format of the drive first but still, windows doesn't boot. What's wrong? Is the hdd damaged by the power outage? Everytime I run chkdsk /r, it repairs the errors (I run it again many times) and it claims no more errors. Then after everytime I put a new windows installation on the drive, chkdsk shows new errors. I've tried WD's diagnostic tools but they show no errors, only chkdsk after every install (and the disc is perfectly fine, I've also tried another disc). Damn mup.sys.

Is this my hdd? Or some other hardware failure from the power out? PSU damaged? (damn Antec trupower has already been RMA'd once perhaps from power outage before despite my surge protector). It can't be software, I've formatted and done everything from scratch over 10 times and I'm not getting anywhere! Does WD let you RMA even if their tools show no problems? I purchased this Raptor off ebay over a year ago OEM so it has no real proof of purchase or reciepts or anything but it was perfectly fine until now.

I know this is from months ago, but i have to ask if anyone has any info on this as my system is now doing this same exact thing. In fact, i tried out an old drive that had been used on the system previously, and not used in over a year, and yet it too freezes up on mup.sys. I am not happy so any reflections would be welcomed

Back