Powerline Networking to stream hd video?

sasquatch182

Limp Gawd
Ok, I have a situation where I need to connect up to a directv box but have no way to get a CAT5 line there. Reading a bunch about wireless and HD video doesn't look promising.

Is there any good powerline networking products that could handle 1080p video?

Thanks

Do you have multiple room receivers and/or deca? If so, the deca can interface to your network. The coax between all of the receivers acts as network for the boxes.

Ok, I have a situation where I need to connect up to a directv box but have no way to get a CAT5 line there. Reading a bunch about wireless and HD video doesn't look promising.

Is there any good powerline networking products that could handle 1080p video?

Thanks

I have been using a BelkinAV500 kit for this very reason. I tried powerline when it first came out and was very dissapointed. I ended up using wifi and was not happy but it "worked". The powerline units could not keep a consistant connection with each other and got extremely hot to the point the plastic would start to discolor.

Fast forward a few years I decided to get a AV500 kit from Belkin and plugged one by the router in one room and one in the family TV room. I am able to stream HD with no hiccups. Love it.

Get a kit and try it. As long as you get an orange light on the unit, you should be ok for HD. Just remember one thing though, you will NEVER get the 500mbps it advertizes but you will it will be enough to stream your content and get a connection to the router. Good luck.

Last edited:
Is there anything need to check on my wiring to get a clue how well it will work? My house is only about 13 years old so it's not like the wiring is old

Do you have multiple room receivers and/or deca? If so, the deca can interface to your network. The coax between all of the receivers acts as network for the boxes.

yes but its not exactly lightning fast. I get some noticeable lag when watching stuff on a different box than it was recorded at times

I don't notice much lag between the rooms. I am not using the directv app on any machine, perhaps look at your network infrastructure and see what you could improve there?

Is there anything need to check on my wiring to get a clue how well it will work? My house is only about 13 years old so it's not like the wiring is old

It really comes down to line quality, distance and correct wiring. Just get a kit, try it for a few days and return if it doesn't work.

My house was built in 97 and the distance between rooms is around 40-50 feet. I get around 30 Mbps which works for me.

I'd definitely say try it out. Years ago, my father's Wifi kept getting knocked out by some heavy interference (never did figure out what it was, but it wasn't likely within his house) and I couldn't run CAT5 down to his den. I slapped in some HomePlug adapters and it's been running great ever since then. It's only 11 Mbps (like I said, this was years ago) but it's reliable and it gets him on the web, which is all he needs. This is in a house that's almost 150 years old with some pretty ancient wiring, but it still works great.

Back