Powerline network

baballin328

Limp Gawd
My friend with a hugeass house cannot use wireless because his house is too big. Is the only option to use powerline networking? Will this let him have internet through out the house?

It should work fine, but it does depend on the age of the house and the wiring. In my house it works fine and has never caused me any problems. Much easier than stringing cables through the wall.

You need to carefully choose your powerline networking product. The older generations of powerline networking gear was really quite slow. The 85 m and higher products are the ones you want to look for.

Max pc did some test last year and could not get a good signal thru an extension cord....much less a house.

They came back this year with newer products and had fairly good success..
I can't find the article but they found 2 co's that had good products (better than before)

Anyone know which ones had good results in their test?

I'm currently using Powerline at my in-laws house. Originally, I tried 802.11b and .11g, both without much success. They'd work for a while, then drop the connection, grab it, then drop it over and over. It might work for a few days... then it'd just go nuts.

Got the cheap powerline (not going to be transfering files anyway) and haven't heard a problem since.

i've just got some of the netgear hd stuff in at work. it worked in our huge open plan office which has about 6 or 8 circuits of it, most of which is horrid old cabling. it also worked at my bosses house including their 'extension' which is actually a seperate building, but on the same power supply. im really quite impressed with it. i would be very interested to see if it would work between two flats in a block... now that would be handy!

baballin328 said:
What would be the best one for him? Price isn't really a factor cuz he's damn rich. Would this be okay? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833181023

If he is "damn rich" then having some cables run would be better.

Anyway I have had only a few experiences with ZyXEL and all of them are bad but that was with wireless equment made by them.

I haven't messed with powerline equment since it was like 14mbs but back then it kinda sucked. Had issues in the few houses I put it in.

Personaly if the guy has some money I would get a cable run or 2 in the house done and put wireless access points around. Instead of having just a wireless router have 2 access points around to cover more area if it is multiple machines. If it is a single machine then just cat6 right to it.

if money isn't a problem get the netgear 200 mbs units.. put them in the mode where they are not compatible and you'll get best performance.

Back