Powerline Network Question

biggles

2[H]4U
I have a powerline setup with the Netgear xav1004:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XAV1004.aspx

The Netgear package came with 2 adapters. One white device plugs into wall outlet and connects an ethernet cable from the router upstairs. The black device has 4 output ethernet ports and connects to a wall outlet downstairs.

I would like to extend the powerline network to an additional room in the house. Can I just buy another of the black devices on ebay to do this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-XA...sh=item363fdf1693:g:T9MAAOSwqIhb5h8d#viTabs_0

It is older powerline network hardware, purchased in 2012. Specs say max speed is 200 Mbps. So as another option it might just be smarter to just buy newer devices. Any recommendations for modern powerline networking hardware?

As far as usage, streaming video to downstairs from youtube or amazon and Comcast speed test says 92 Mbps.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Short answer: yes you probably can in general mix ethernet-over-powerline adapters, in theory: You can mix and match Powerline adaptors running at different speeds and from different manufacturers – as long as they all support at least HomePlug AV

FWIW I recently (As in the last week) went through a very similar situation. Ultimately...though I decided to go with 4 of the same units, the reason for this was to provide the best possible speeds to the powerline network -- and it has. I am using the powerline network to run cable to my AP's in the house; ethernet jacks are not in place where I wanted the AP's.

Just to be clear, there is NO other type of wiring anywhere near the endpoints? Because powerline is really a last resort

If your getting 92Mbps on powerline, your doing ok.

Now, adding in your third outlet.... Outlets are all connected back to the breaker box. Your Powerline device has to go all the way back there, across the breaker, and back to the next breaker if you have two outlets on different circuits. That adds noise and will slow things down.

To complicate matters, circuits tend to alternate. Your breaker box is probably typical US 220V single phase utility service. To get to your 110V outlets, half of them will be on one side of the 220V, the other half on the other side of the 220V. If you try to use Powerline on two circuits that are on different halves of the breaker box, it really slows down... like pretty much just won't work slow down.

Just some things to be aware of.

Did some more research and found out the following. Powerline networking runs on 3 standards: Homeplug, HomeplugAV (sometimes called HomeplugAV1.0), and HomeplugAV2.0. HomeplugAV versions 1 and 2 are supposed to be compatible regardless of brand, but not the original Homeplug standard. The xav1004 runs on version 1.0.

In my case, there is a Vizio smart TV in the master bedroom upstairs. Its wifi is flaky. Wifi is strong upstairs, the problem is in the Vizio Smart TV (it was a refurb purchased about 5 years ago). If I did some research I suppose there would be an intelligent way to run ethernet from the upstairs office to bedroom. But we are renters, so leaning away from that type of project and investment. Or maybe there is another way. It seems like replacing the smart TV would be a waste of money. Anyway, powerline networking seems like the best bet here.

If your WiFI is good and you just suspect the radio in the TV is on the fritz, I'd go with a WiFi bridge instead of Powerline. Cost would be similar, and you aren't playing the "which circuit is my breaker on" lottery or fooling with potential incompatibility of standards.

Do you not have coax runs near the endpoints? Because MoCA offers near gigabit speeds and reliability, assuming you can access the splitter and install a filter.

Do you not have coax runs near the endpoints? Because MoCA offers near gigabit speeds and reliability, assuming you can access the splitter and install a filter.
I don't understand this post as the info in it is beyond my tech knowledge. There is a coaxial cable coming out of the wall in my office where the cable modem and router are located and in use. If the bedroom with the Vizio TV also has a coaxial cable coming out of the wall would that somehow be useful?

What do folks think of the deal below? Only $18 for a 500 mbps powerline setup. I believe this could be used with one of the Netgear network adapters currently in use.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-Pow...rentrq:4d21e29716d0aca473acc26aff91c93f|iid:1

Old/current setup: Netgear adapter 1 plugs into router upstairs, netgear adapter 2 plugs into downstairs outlet, PS4, and smart TV. Vizio TV in bedroom using flaky wifi.
New/proposed setup: D-Link adapter 1 plugs into router upstairs, D-Link adapter 2 plugs into downstairs outlet, PS4, and smart TV. Netgear adapter 1 plugs into Vizio TV in bedroom.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
MoCA (Media over Coax Alliance) is a standard for networking over coax cable:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

This standard is in wide use for FiOS installations. The filter I was referring to is where the coax enters your residence, you need a MoCA filter (pretty much a 1ghz low pass filter) to prevent your neighbors getting on your network. Usually a good place to put the filter is at the main splitter.

Back