Powerline ethernet

mkrohn

2[H]4U
So buying one of these: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA...91445946&sr=8-1&keywords=TP-LINK+TL-PA4010KIT connects 1 computer into the network but would a second set like that then connect 3?

No matter what I do wifi doesn't give any reasonable speed when there's a bunch of devices on it and in use. I'm considering setting up a second, seperate wifi network for the slow devices like phones, roku's etc. I moved things like laptops and stuff to 5ghz. I can't help but wonder if something like this is a good solution for things like the PS3 that has horrible wifi no matter what you do.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those work pretty well, usually better than 2.4GHz wifi but not as well as MoCA (ethernet over coax).

You put one directly into a wall socket and plug the ethernet into the router. The other one goes directly into an outlet and then the ethernet can go to a device (like PS3) or to a ethernet switch to give you more than one ethernet port.

If you add a 3rd or 4th adapter (in another room) then that one will have internet access too.

Just make sure to plug the adapters directly into the wall, not a power strip.

After months of struggling with crappy 5G wireless in my house, I gave up switched over to Powerline Ethernet and haven't looked back. Though not as fast as straight network cable, it's much faster than wireless, streaming music and movies is seamless.

They are brain-dead easy to setup, though there are two caveats: 1) they must be plugged directly into an outlet (not a power strip), and 2) the outlets on both ends must be on the same circuit (not really a problem in most houses unless you built an addition).

the outlets on both ends must be on the same circuit (not really a problem in most houses unless you built an addition).

not entirely true. Both devices on the same breaker is preferred, but it will work if they are on a different breaker. Generally if they are on the same phase of power you won't see much of a loss, but on a different phase you will see slower speeds.

not entirely true. Both devices on the same breaker is preferred, but it will work if they are on a different breaker. Generally if they are on the same phase of power you won't see much of a loss, but on a different phase you will see slower speeds.

How much slower? I'm mainly wanting to connect opposite ends of the house really. I have basically no signal in my office on some devices but the wifi is placed in an area that was just convenient to stuff it into. I then have a 54Mb line up on a tower broadcasting to another house. I can hit that wifi when I need to but it slows down the connection to the other house. My plan is once the weather is nicer upgrading the link between the houses once the weather is nice but if there's a nice option that doesn't include me climbing a tower I'd prefer that.

If you buy multiple powerline adapters, they will work on the same "network" if you sync them all; I have 3 adapters, 1 being the uplink and 2 being the downlink. I got roughly 12-15 meg/sec from one end of the house to the other, and it was enough to consistently (and barely) stream 1080p. The only bit of advice I would give is to make sure you are not sharing the socket, and if you are, use a non-surge 6 inch power cable extension. Sharing a socket greatly reduced my speeds, a bit more than half. I did it for a month before I just ended up running cable which is worth the hassle.

I use a set to reach my smart TV, works fantastic. Better than the wireless it was getting. This is being passed through different breakers on very old wiring :D

I use powerline adapters as well for a WDLive Plus box on the second floor and works nicely streaming from the server on the first floor.

ahh this is good news... I was looking for a solution for getting ethernet from my office upstairs to the entertainment rack downstairs and didn't want to go wifi.. too many weird reviews about drop outs and having to power cycle the devices daily.. I think this TP-LINK is the best route. The two outlets I have in mind are on separate 15a breakers right next to each other in the breaker box / panel. I am guessing it should work fine based on the discussion above. Breaker box looks like it's in great shape.. house was built in 78. seems to have decent wiring.

went from 200 to the newer(last year) 500 zyxel units 1x4 and its 20 times faster than any wireless I have tried.
They new ones out in march will be 1000Mb units, not sure how good yet no one has tested them that I know of.

my TP-LINK AV500 Powerline Gigabit Adapter Starter Kit (up to 500Mbps) arrived yesterday.. will test them out next week when we move into the new house.

I've answered these questions before in detail in a massive reply. Use the search function if you want to know everything.

The short version.

Home plug or powerline networking comes in a couple of version.

AV = version 1.0 listed at 200Mbps.....normally more like 20Mbps irl.
AV+ = version 1.1 listed at 500Mbps.....normally more like 45Mbps irl.
AV2 = version 2.0 , the plug has a ground pin, listed at 600Mbps....normally more like 80Mbps irl.

Coming 2nd qtr this year.. AV2+ = version 2.1, also has a ground pin, listed at 1000Mbps and 1600Mbps.....expect 150-250Mbps for a pair.

Powerline networking:

Does not like being plugged into a surge protector (poor performance)
Does not like being plugged into Arc Fault Circuit Breakers (poor performance)
Does not like electrical outlets that use quick push locks for the AC wires, or old outlets with worn out contects (good terminal contact is essential)
Does not like crossing electrical phases L1 to L2 (reduces performance in version 2 and higher) (poor performance in versions lower than 2.0)

A 80Mbps powerline connection is far superior to a 144Mbps wireless N connection when using UDP protocol (Streaming audio/video/movies/Netflix/etc) and in most cases better than a 300Mbps wireless connection too.

A 45Mbps powerline connection will usually (not always) still perform better than a 144Mbps wireless N connection when using UDP protocol

ps I have the ones that have one input and 4X switch on the other makes my media center a lot better, htpc, roku, blu ray, tv all plugged in and working perfect.
its a little more but worth it.
ps I have my nas on the network and play all blu ray rips thru it and not one studder, skip, pause etc. Cant do that on wireless

Mackintire is giving great info, and please don't plug it into anything but a std outlet.

AV = version 1.0 listed at 200Mbps.....normally more like 20Mbps irl.
I remember when these things first came out and you couldn't get 10Mb on a 6ft extension cord ROFL

you can find reviews, test, comparisons on small netbuilder

Last edited:
Back