Powerline AV and network switch or wi-fi router?

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research on powerline AV and I'm considering moving to powerline av from my current wi-fi repeater. The problem is I'm not seeing anything online that says you can plug in a 10/100 switch or something to a Powerline AV end and extend your network like that. Does anyone if this is possible? I'm aware that there are powerline av 10/100/1000 switches but it seems to be more cost effective if I use one of my spare switches I have laying around. I know the throughput will likely drop quite a bit but I can live with that. Any help would be great. Thanks

Can't speak for all of them but the TP-Link TL-PA6010 powerline device behaves like a one port gigabit switch so with a pair it works fine connecting PC at both ends or switches. Throughput will vary from home to home but I get a consistent 264Mbits/s unidirectional even between two floors. Fairly cheap at about $70 for a kit that includes two and had local Fry's price match to online.

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=3140&model=TL-PA6010KIT

Might be unrelated but I have the Zyzel pla4205. One end was connected to a Cisco 2970 Switch and the other to a PC. No issues what-so-ever.

I never tested the actual throughput on it but worked fine for 1080p streaming from a file server.

Hi guys,

I've been doing some research on powerline AV and I'm considering moving to powerline av from my current wi-fi repeater. The problem is I'm not seeing anything online that says you can plug in a 10/100 switch or something to a Powerline AV end and extend your network like that. Does anyone if this is possible? I'm aware that there are powerline av 10/100/1000 switches but it seems to be more cost effective if I use one of my spare switches I have laying around. I know the throughput will likely drop quite a bit but I can live with that. Any help would be great. Thanks

Yes you can. I'm currently doing this on my home network. I have one adapter connected to a router, and in another part of the house I have another adapter connected to a switch/access point.

I'm using Netgear AV500. Connection speed is around 100Mbps

yes it will work fine on that side of the powerline adapter.

the throughput between the powerline adapters will be limited to length/quality of the electrical cables between eachother you may get the max throughput depending on that.

i was about the ask the question.

looking for quality powerline adapters as well. I need at least 2 adapters than can accept multiple things into one or I guess I can put a switch by them. Pretty much I have 2 places in my house where multiple devices are right next to each other.

Need at least two adapters + whatever you need to get those hooked up to a router.

Anyone have experience with the ones on sale from Rosewill on Newegg? They're noticeably cheaper than the other brands. If they still do the job, I'm willing to try them out.

Back