Powerless Switch?

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
Do they make switches that do not require power? I am about to wire my house and if I can, I would like to avoid running an extention cord to my closet if they make a powerless switch.

What he said.

You wouldn't hardly want a powerless switch... huge advantage is that it amplifies the signal.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. This is a brand new house, I wonder how much it would cost to have a someone else come out and do it. Oh, I did notice that the builder used either Cat5e or Cat6 cabling for the phone jacks. I just took the cover of one of the outlets and he just doesn't use the other 4 pair. Hmmm....I bet I could rig something up but if I did that I wouldn't have a LAN line which I do use for my Dish system.

So anyway how much do you think it would cost to do a small 5 outlets wiring job if I paid someone? Small house 1850 sqft.

Commenting on the CAT5 for a phone jack... nothing wrong with it.

More than anything, it is just a waste if you won't use it for data lines later on.

Might work out good for you- would re-terminating both ends save you from even needing a switch?

The CAT5 cables terminate outside of my house to a phone box. I would imagine that I would need to reterminate all of the ends and some how get a switch to where the phone box is.

The CAT5 cables terminate outside of my house to a phone box. I would imagine that I would need to reterminate all of the ends and some how get a switch to where the phone box is.

No idea that depends how it is all setup.

I was saying if you have a phone jack (that you said is really a CAT5 line), you get get a new keystone peice (new jack), and turn it into a data port instead of a phone line.

Kinda weird, If I was going to build a house i'd just run cat5/6 to each room
and have a patch panel in the basement or wherever to switch the port from ethernet
to telephone.

What about a little Power-over-Ethernet switch? I know Cisco makes IP Phones that get their power from the network cable (and that have a small switch built-in).

What about a little Power-over-Ethernet switch? I know Cisco makes IP Phones that get their power from the network cable (and that have a small switch built-in).

OK, and where does the power get into the cable at? lol... PoE stuff needs switches to insert the power...

Either way- you end up degrading SOMETHING without power... just depends how long of a run you are doing.

Well since it is using POE to power the switch you do have power. So yes you would need an injector at one end of the cable, and you could NOT infinitely stack POE devices at the end, but if all he is looking for is 4 ports without the need of power at that end, this would work (I would suspect you could stack a couple, but looking at the data sheet for that 3CCom it doesn’t show what draw it has). Yes you still need power at the other, but I suspect that would be there as there is a PC/Router/Switch at that location. For his use this could easily work.

The more I think about it, that switch might work. I could convert all of my outlets to RJ45 and I could encapsulate my connections outside of my house to RJ45. Since these connections are already in a South West Phone box, I could easily stick this switch in it. I could then use a POE Switch in my PC room to send power to the switch outside and then hook the POE switch to my router.

This might actually work and would be very cheap to do since my house is using Cat5E for all of my phone jacks.

You cant plug a RJ11 pots phone line into a ethernet switch. Well you actually physically could, but it would not work.

I hope that's not part of what you just described?

Back