• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Powering off RAID storage servers

nry

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Messages
409
Im about to build my RAID server up (just need to buy disks)

Now I have chosen RAID6 (10x 2TB), if this isnt running 24x7 would I be better with software RAID?
I can't find much on this subject. Assuming most people leave it on 24x7

Any tips for a idiot in the subject would be brilliant!!
 
power it off by shutting down the OS...
what you don't want is to lose power, get a UPS and when the UPS detects that the power is out, have it send a signal to the OS to shutdown the system
 
Got myself a 2U ups which seems pretty decent with new batterys

But I want to try keep this as low power as possible. I guess it will be used maybe 10-15 hours per week.
Its to store all my films on and backup my work server so dosent need to be on alot.
I dont want to build up a raid array and then find it dosent like being powered down all the time!
 
There's no reason it should be a problem. Just make sure that you initiate shutdown properly as mentioned above, and make sure that anything that depends on it (backup routines, etc.) will fail gracefully if it's not available.
 
Raid arrays these days handle shutdown/startup cycles just fine. It's when they get powered off forcibly that you have issues (power outage, kid tripping over the power cable, etc). In these cases a typical raid controller will proceed to recalculate all parity in the array (ie: has to do a full read of the array). You can imagine how long this would take on a 10 x 2TB array (a day perhaps). Quite a lot of disk activity to be sure!

This was one of the reasons I switched to ZFS.
 
Raid arrays these days handle shutdown/startup cycles just fine. It's when they get powered off forcibly that you have issues (power outage, kid tripping over the power cable, etc). In these cases a typical raid controller will proceed to recalculate all parity in the array (ie: has to do a full read of the array). You can imagine how long this would take on a 10 x 2TB array (a day perhaps). Quite a lot of disk activity to be sure!

This was one of the reasons I switched to ZFS.
Sounds like you have zero first hand experience. RAID HBAs do not recalculate parity for everything upon power failure...there's little reason to.
 
I use an Adaptec hardware Raid card with a HP Expander plus a Norco 24 bay enclosure.

I have 4 x 3TB drives in Raid 0 for storing and watching video and every day storage.

I also have a 8 x 2TB Raid 6 array for backup. Since I don't use the Raid 6 array very often, I just slide the disks out of the the enclosure about 1/4" and they never turn on until I power down and push the trays back in - back up the raid 0 array then remove them again.

This saves about 45 watts power that can be better spent on something else.
 
Sounds like you have zero first hand experience. RAID HBAs do not recalculate parity for everything upon power failure...there's little reason to.

Actually to be fair, the controller I was struggling when I first encountered this had a dead raid controller battery; RAID scrub was forced after each power outage due to this. Took me a while to determine the issue, hence my jaded view of conventional RAID :)
 
Back
Top