• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Powering a QX6700 System

Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
8
Hey, guys! I'm a little stumped on which power supply I'll need for my new QX6700, X1950XTX system (a couple of raptors, 4 gigs of ram, dvd drive, not much else). I'd like to get a supply with enough headroom to be able to run top flight GPUs two years from now. Is a 750 or 850 watt power supply overkill? Looking for a supply that will be OK for me for the next two and a half years or so.

If you have a specific model that you think would be great for me, that would be a huge help!

Thanks!
 
Any plans for SLI in the future? If not, the Corsair HX520 or a Seasonic or Enermax unit around that wattage should be plenty.

Planning for GPUs two years off is hard. On one hand, they could continue with the current power-sucking trend, and require 1KW power supply for one card, or they could go for low-power stuff like Intel recently did with the Core Duos, and you'd need a 300W power supply for four cards :p The HX620 is *probably* a good bet either way, but it's a tossup whether it'll really be sufficient in two years.
 
Thanks for the reply! Running SLI or crossfire isn't something I'm really into, so I think the 620 will work great for me. But is it worth spending a little extra to protect myself if I someday want to run a dual card setup? If so, what would I go for?
 
Maybe a PCP&C Silencer 750 or a Zippy gamer PSU. But I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra money - a 620 will handle SLI 8800s, a core 2 quad, and lots of other stuff.
 
HX620 would be good for what you need... silent too and all black :cool:
 
Back
Top